Most surprising/stunning playoff sweeps you can recall

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
In light of the Dodgets' stunning sweep of the Cubs, I was wondering what were some of the most shocking/surprising playoff series sweeps you can recall. (It's in baseball, football or hockey)

Here are my choices- one personal, the other from a point of surprise.

2003- Ducks sweep the defending Stanley Cup champion Red Wings

[youtube]2CwnYJGOvJQ[/youtube]

I'm sure KCK, Paul and Jimbo remember this from different points of view.

The one I remember the most- 1993.

My Sabres swept a highly regarded Bruins team in four straight.

Here's what it made it my top choice:

1. These teams couldn't have finished the season any differently. Buffalo had lost their last seven games, while Boston had won their last eight games.

2. Boston had NEVER lost to the Sabres in a playoff series.

3. It was the only time my Sabres EVER made it past the first round when I lived in Buffalo.

Here are some clips:

[youtube]dP95cAChWQ0&[/youtube]

[youtube]LscoRJPuWXs[/youtube]

[youtube]bMgM8BAJarQ&[/youtube]

[youtube]ZfrvcxjA07Q&[/youtube]

[youtube]mDxh3VXEoSM&[/youtube]

Bill, I know this brings back bad memories, but given the history between my teams and yours (other Bruins/Sabres series, A's/Red Sox, Patriots/Bills), it's the only time I could claim my team beat your team when it counted.

The Reds sweep of Oakland in the '90 WS stands out to me. Everyone thought if it were a sweep it would go the other way. The Reds have to be one of the most forgetable WS champions ever. They've sucked just about every season since then.

The Reds sweep of Oakland in the '90 WS stands out to me. Everyone thought if it were a sweep it would go the other way. The Reds have to be one of the most forgetable WS champions ever. They've sucked just about every season since then.

Agree on the Reds/A's series....it also elevated Lou Piniella to perception as "master motivator" Manager, cemented with the '95 Mariners, even though he now has had 2 teams('01 Mariners, '08 Cubs) that severely were outplayed in the playoffs.

I agree with the sweep. But as the saying goes good pitching amd defense ALWAYS beats good hitting. That team had the best bullpen I have ever seen in my life time....as far as I am concern, the combination of Dibble, Myers and Charlton was THE BEST bullpen EVER. The starting pitching of Jose Rijo, Danny Jackson, Tom Browning and Jack Armstong was decent.

1963 - Dodgers sweep the Yankees, my freshman year in high school.

Sandy Koufax won two of the games, World Series MVP, NL MVP, and the Cy Young. The last two games in LA were classic pitcher's duels, 1-0 Drysdale vs. Jim Bouton, 2-1 Koufax vs. Whitey Ford.

I agree with this one too.

I was just a youngster but the one I remember most is when the White Sox swept the Cubs back in '06. I played hookey from third grade and snuck into the park to see Tinker, Evers and Chance. What a disappointment. ( I hope you know I am kidding.)

I agree. I am a Reds fan and I was shocked they swept. Even after they were up 2-0 going back to Oakland I didn't expect the Reds to win the series. Like others have said they had a great bullpen that was built for the playoffs. Their starting pitching only had to go 6 innings and then turn it over to the bullpen. Usually no one touched that bullpen.

The Amazin Mets over the Braves in the NLCS of 69. Geonaz you must tell us about the Cubs-Tigers WS of 08! The Cubs wouldn't have been there if it had not been for the Merkle "boner" a few weeks earlier. It forced the Giants to take on the Cubs in a tie-breaker the day after the season ended. The Cubs prevailed and went on to topple Detroit, 100 years ago and counting.

....as far as I am concern, the combination of Dibble, Myers and Charlton was THE BEST bullpen EVER.

All three Reds championships that I have witnessed (1975, 1976, 1990) did not have a designated closer. You had those three guys in 1990, and you had Eastwick, McEnaney, Borbon, and Carroll closing games in the other two. Maybe that way works best for them.

All three Reds championships that I have witnessed (1975, 1976, 1990) did not have a designated closer. You had those three guys in 1990, and you had Eastwick, McEnaney, Borbon, and Carroll closing games in the other two. Maybe that way works best for them.

Myers was the designated closer. He lead the team with like 35 saves, give or take....Rob Dibble was a distant second with 10 or so.....

Myers was the designated closer. He lead the team with like 35 saves, give or take....Rob Dibble was a distant second with 10 or so.....

I really wish they hadn't traded John Franco away the winter before. He could have had a ring too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)