Mother Earth News magazine - Satellite dishes!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I was at Walmart tonight killing some time while waiting for my daughter and thumbing through some magazines. Towards the back of The Mother Earth News magazine I noticed some satellite dishes being "repurposed" or in my book being mispurposed! They had the usual small dish birdbath and the large dish gazebo - yea. The magazine is about being self suficient, eating healthy and saving money too. I put the magazine back and I was thinking why don't they have a article about the original purpose of satellite dishes? Like FTA! I can not recall seeing a artcle on FTA info in any magazine! (Well other than a electronic magazine!) Getting the word out would benefit people and the dishes too! :D

I was at Walmart tonight killing some time while waiting for my daughter and thumbing through some magazines. Towards the back of The Mother Earth News magazine I noticed some satellite dishes being "repurposed" or in my book being mispurposed! They had the usual small dish birdbath and the large dish gazebo - yea. The magazine is about being self suficient, eating healthy and saving money too. I put the magazine back and I was thinking why don't they have a article about the original purpose of satellite dishes? Like FTA! I can not recall seeing a artcle on FTA info in any magazine! (Well other than a electronic magazine!) Getting the word out would benefit people and the dishes too! :D

Go to the magazine's website and get their submission guidelines. Write up an article and submit it with some good photos. It's not that hard to sell informative well-written articles to magazines like the Mother Earth News. I have sold many articles to farm magazines and local newspapers.

Unless things have changed drastically with that group's mission statement, you'll be preaching to the wrong choir. Back when I kept a sub to that mag, (circa 1975-1985) there was a continuing article for "99 Reasons for the Elimination of Television". or something to that effect. Self-sufficiency actually translates to anti-reliance, which actually makes really good sense and something we have the total opposite of in this era. The prevailing mentality of that organization was as "off grid" as it gets, (save the Wyoming survivalists...lol)
All things considered in this techno controlled atomiton society, sometimes I think about it and wonder, maybe they were right............

Unless things have changed drastically with that group's mission statement, you'll be preaching to the wrong choir. Back when I kept a sub to that mag, (circa 1975-1985) there was a continuing article for "99 Reasons for the Elimination of Television". or something to that effect. Self-sufficiency actually translates to anti-reliance, which actually makes really good sense and something we have the total opposite of in this era. The prevailing mentality of that organization was as "off grid" as it gets, (save the Wyoming survivalists...lol)
All things considered in this techno controlled atomiton society, sometimes I think about it and wonder, maybe they were right............

Well, there are other magazines out there too! Maybe the Mother might be a bad choice for sending info about watching TV! ;)

...I have sold many articles to farm magazines and local newspapers.

Sold??? Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

I am amaized on how many farmers sub to a pizza service just to get RFD which is ITC! A couple of local farmers even have C band dishes sitting unused! :eek:

Well, there are other magazines out there too! Maybe the Mother might be a bad choice for sending info about watching TV! ;)
Didnt intend to disway your intentions Dan. By all means press on. The only chance we have of loosening the stranglehold and govt support of such that the DBS/DSS monopolies have on end user satellite tv is to get the word out there are options. Weak economy and poor value for the big boy's services (not to mention unethical business practices) could promote growth in our community as well.

Just commenting that if the Mother Earth News ideals have stayed true, your revelations may fall on deaf ears. I always wanted to make a trip to NC and check out the village but never have....so far....
Best of luck!

I haven't read that it many years. A relative subbed in the 80's and only thing I was interested in was energy alternative articles. I believe they went bankrupt at some point and someone restarted it a several years later. I'm not into hippie living, at least that's what a friend in Asheville says it's like in Hendersonville.

I haven't read that it many years. A relative subbed in the 80's and only thing I was interested in was energy alternative articles. I believe they went bankrupt at some point and someone restarted it a several years later. I'm not into hippie living, at least that's what a friend in Asheville says it's like in Hendersonville.

My dad used to sub to it years ago. If I see something on the cover that interests me I will paw through it. Well I have not bought an issue yet. The magazine does not seem as "hip" as it was years ago so there were some kind of changes.

I knew it man. Capitalist pigs always ruining everything man.....lol
Yeah, they were kinda the last of the hippies and about 10 years too late. The only issue I know where is off hand is the Alternative Energy Special Edition, circa 1979. I came across it (serendipitously)a while back sealed in a plastic bag.
Pre cordless phone, much less cell phone, internet, PC, GPS, ....feel free to add to the list.....
It was a simpler time...........

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)