Motoring with the AZBox in DiSEqC Mode

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
In past experiences with SG-2100 and DG-280/380 motors and any USALS/DiSEqC 1.2 compatible receiver, I have found that there is a limit to how far the motor will drive in the USALS mode. This limit is aprroximately 59 degrees plus or minus from your longitude degree.

For me, that means that Hispasat 1C/1D is out of reach by about 8 degrees.

If I utilize the DiSEqC 1.2 motor control mode, I can position the motor to the motors limits, which I do in order to pull in Cubavision on Hispasat 1C/1D with my Coolsat or my Fortec Star Dynamic.

With the AZBox Premium (I am sure the Elite, too), the limitation to USALS is the same. I must acknowledge that this limitation is within the USALS program itself.

Here's where I ran into a dilemna with the AZBox. I tried and tried and could not find Cubavision (on TP 11.884 V 27.500 MS/s) when using the DiSEqC control. I know that I was merely passing it by as I was moving the dish along as I know that it is there. I fought and tried and cussed, but just could not dial Hispasat in with the AZBox. I fought it too long and was ready to give up for the time being.

I imagined that the receiver of the AZBox may be a little slow to respond and lock on to the signal. Then it occured to me, my Coolsat knows it is there! Use the tuner and the meter of the Coolsat to dial in the AZBox.

I connected the Coolsat to the IF Loop Output of the AZBox then selected the Manual Scan Mode on the Coolsat and TP 11.884 V. Then I set the AZBox to satellite 30.0 W (Hispasat) and selected DiSEqC 1.2 motor control with continuous motor operation and told it to drive east while I watched the signal meter on the Coolsat.

I found the signal within a few seconds! Then I selected a step movement of 1 on the AZBox and fine adjusted the motor until the quality meter on the Coolsat was peaked and centered. Then, I saved the motor location.

It worked slicker than goose grease! Woohoo! :D

The Coolsat comes to the rescue once again! You just can't beat this little machine!

RADAR

az slave

hi RADAR
use my pan 2800 to drive my motor then slave out to the az.
2 reasons no blind scan on the az. i can find stuff on the pansat.
plus the way the az will crash and lose your settings from firmware up dates (etc) the motor is one less thing to deal with. if and when my az gets a motor it wil be after they get version 1 out.
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mad,

My AZBox hasn't crashed on me, but I have noticed it do some quirky things. Such as, when I am navigating through the antenna settup menus (the settings menus) it all of sudden goes to You Tube. It has done this several times on me, so there must be a code or command from the remote that is very similar and it gets confused. But, fortunately, no crashes yet.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)