motorizing a winegard 1m

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scupmando

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Looking for a hh motor for this dish. Anyone know which motor will fit the 2 3/8" mount. I'm guessing the stab hh120 is my best bet, but wanted to know of any other options.

Thanks.

Virgil Gomes said:
I have a Winegard 1m and am using the SG2100. There is a 50mm shaft attachment that works well. That's what I used.

I got it from http://www.roxsat.biz

Virgil

Where exactly can we see that 50mm shaft attachment? I couldn't find it on roxsat's website.

You dont even need the 50mm adaptor, all you need to do is make (3) 5/16 holes into the SG2100's factory arm to mount the Winegard 1m dish.

Here are some snaps of mine, and it works just fine. :hatsoff:

Attachments

• sg2100a.JPG
    sg2100a.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 269
  • sg2100b.JPG
    sg2100b.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 259
pro-96 said:
You dont even need the 50mm adaptor, all you need to do is make (3) 5/16 holes into the SG2100's factory arm to mount the Winegard 1m dish.

Here are some snaps of mine, and it works just fine. :hatsoff:

1. Any problems that some have commented upon with regard to the weight of the dish and mount, and the strength of the SG2100? I have heard that this is a heavy load to place upon the motor.

2. How far apart did you insert the holes, and what distance from the top and the bottom of the factory shaft/arm?

greyskies in sunny South Florida (just poured, and if you live down here, you know what I mean when I say it poured)

greyskies said:
1. Any problems that some have commented upon with regard to the weight of the dish and mount, and the strength of the SG2100? I have heard that this is a heavy load to place upon the motor.

2. How far apart did you insert the holes, and what distance from the top and the bottom of the factory shaft/arm?

greyskies in sunny South Florida (just poured, and if you live down here, you know what I mean when I say it poured)

1) No problems whatsoever up to date.

2) Approx 1.25 inches apart.. I got the idea from this site ? Here
but I driled my 3 holes higher so it would have better support and strenght.

You can compare the pictures from the site vs my own, and you will see how mine are higher up. Which helps on mounting this 1m dish.

Thanks for the interesting ideas.

PSB, where can I purchase the 50mm shaft from the link?

beeb said:
Thanks for the interesting ideas.

PSB, where can I purchase the 50mm shaft from the link?

?? Dmsiusa

BTW: 50mm is 1.96 inches and the 1m Winegard's mount is 2 3/8 inches, which is still short of the mount's size.

pro-96 said:
?? Dmsiusa

BTW: 50mm is 1.96 inches and the 1m Winegard's mount is 2 3/8 inches, which is still short of the mount's size.

So to be clear, if the 50mm shaft is "still short of the mount's size", then how does it support this dish? Sorry if this seems overly naive, but I want to make sure I am clear before I expend approx. $125 for the new dish, and more importantly, all my time and effort to modify a larger dish setup with the SG2100. Not complaining, just want to fully understand pros and cons of following the modification you presented.

Best regards (and thanks)

greyskies in sunny South Florida

greyskies said:
So to be clear, if the 50mm shaft is "still short of the mount's size", then how does it support this dish? Sorry if this seems overly naive, but I want to make sure I am clear before I expend approx. $125 for the new dish, and more importantly, all my time and effort to modify a larger dish setup with the SG2100. Not complaining, just want to fully understand pros and cons of following the modification you presented.

Best regards (and thanks)

greyskies in sunny South Florida
The 50mm shaft is beneficial because you'll need one less shim to get to 2 3/8".

My Primestar uses the 2 3/8" pole mount as well. I used schedule 40 PVC in 1 1/2" and 2" sizes to make up two shims/sleeves to go over the SG2100's arm and make the 2 3/8" mount work.

Does it work? sure! Is it as secure as the 1M mount shown above? No way.

With the 50mm tube I could use a single PVC sleeve which I think will net a more secure mount. I had planned to send a single bolt through the whole assembly once it was bolted up but I never got around to it. I'm going to put the 50mm tube on when I swap my raggety P* for the pristine one.

Makes me wonder why they manufacture the 50mm shaft instead of the common size of 2 3/8"...

They probably intend the 50mm to be used with a U-bolt mounting dish.

Just 1 Lawyer's Thought

Tron said:
Makes me wonder why they manufacture the 50mm shaft instead of the common size of 2 3/8"...

They probably intend the 50mm to be used with a U-bolt mounting dish.

Being one of them thar Lawyer-types hir in Flo-ree-Duh, I thought I would sheer my tots with yall (got that out of my system, back to proper grammar and spelling).

I think that they do not use the common size, as you wonder, since it could expose them to product liability issues. They clearly advertise their motors as being compatible with dishes up to 1.2m, but do not provide any weight limitations. As we know, different dishes have different weights based upon materials used, and size and weights of the mounting brackets. Were they to use the "common size" then that might lead to a larger number of customers doing exactly what is being discussed in this thread, and a significant number of customers putting tremendous load strains on the motor, resulting in increased product failure rates. That would not be good for business (as a result of web-based forum discussions about quality of products) nor their responsibility for honoring their product's warranty. Further, that might lead to litigation about design defects or misleading advertisement.

(Back to Florida-ease) Just one lawyer-type's tots doun hir in Flo-ree-Duh.

Tron said:
It's a sure bet that a 1.2M Channel Master would tear up a regular DiSEqC motor quite fast. That dish is a beast! :D

Add Patriot 1.2m's to that list.
I love the dish; sturdy, well-constructed, and works great.... but massively heavy :shocked

pro96:
did you have a heck of a time aligning the dish on the arc? before i saw your reply here i did the exact same thing as you did. now i can't get it to track the arc correctly. i am using a new version of the sg2100 that's suppose to be improved. problem is when i get amc21 tuned in,then i lose amc 6 on the opposite side of the arc. using usals is just about useless presently and for some reason the mottor just doesn't want to return to any sat that's programmed in to my receiver.
i'm at 81.6w 26.6n and most true south sat would be 83.0w
any help you may be able to give is greatfully appreciated

if your tracking off arc the a slight adjustment can be made by loosing the motor and shifting it .

are you hitting any sats in the middle of arc . when you have adjusted it for amc6 send it to amc 21 and go out & push up or down on dish slightly see if there is a signal gain and adjust.

so if your hitting your east arc and low on west arc side slightly twist motor (from behind) counterclockwise ... like i said slightly .. and recheck
if hitting east arc and to high on west ark side slightly twist motor clockwise. when i say slightly i mean fraction of inch small adjustments - loosing & tightning the bolts carefully so they dont slip you can also mark you spots with tape so you know where you were :)

this is with thinking everything is set up - pole level

Mod if you would like to break this off to a new thread :)

Last edited:
Looking for a hh motor for this dish. Anyone know which motor will fit the 2 3/8" mount. I'm guessing the stab hh120 is my best bet, but wanted to know of any other options.

Thanks.

I own and use both the Winegard 1 meter dish and Stab HH120 motor. As previously mentioned the dish mount is much larger the the motor shaft. I don't know of any motor that the dish just bolts right onto. I shimmed mine with aluminium pipe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)