Mountains in PA, can I still pick up the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre stations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScottEC

Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Hi there,
I'm brand-spanking new to the forum... well, technically, I've read through a lot of the threads here. I live in Allentown, PA, where the FCC rules Philadelphia as the DMA for the Lehigh Valley. Since December 2012 and before, we used to get one station from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in particular, WNEP-TV 16 ABC, on cable, until WPVI-6 ABC Philadelphia decided to take action. In the last few months, I've gotten back into watching their news online and I've given up on the disaster I believe to be Philadelphia stations. So I figure, this would be a good time to ask the experts around the block if getting many of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre stations, like WYOU-22, WBRE-28, WVIA-41, WOLF-56, and of course WNEP-16. Almost fortunately for Lehigh Valley viewers, WNEP-TV has an outlying translator on South Mountain nearby the city of Allentown. Unfortunately, the signal is only a straight shot through the city of Allentown and some of next door neighbor Bethlehem. My house, some 7 miles west of the city, is not in the LOS of the translator station. Not-so-ironically, I live in a super area for Allentown TV reception. I can pick up the 3 Allentown stations, WFMZ-69 (IND), WBPH-60 (IND), WLVT-39 (PBS), with no struggle from my rabbit ears (with UHF band) RCA indoor antenna. Before shopping for an outdoor antenna, I wanted to, first, check the TV fool and Rabbit Ears for all channel options and transmitter details, which includes most Scranton/Wilkes-Barre stations, and what I'd need to pick them up. But I'm still uncertain if I'll be able to receive some of these stations. Would anyone mind lending a helpful hand?

Cheers! Scott

Check out my just-updated resource for off-air reception across the U.S., listed by city.
This, combined with an exact level measurement from TV Fool for your address, should give you a better idea of what is available. Click on the OFF-THE-AIR TV RECEPTION link at the bottom of my webpage at www.global-cm.net

Go to the Pennsylvania list and look up desired community.

Hi there,
I'm brand-spanking new to the forum... well, technically, I've read through a lot of the threads here. I live in Allentown, PA, where the FCC rules Philadelphia as the DMA for the Lehigh Valley. Since December 2012 and before, we used to get one station from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in particular, WNEP-TV 16 ABC, on cable, until WPVI-6 ABC Philadelphia decided to take action. In the last few months, I've gotten back into watching their news online and I've given up on the disaster I believe to be Philadelphia stations. So I figure, this would be a good time to ask the experts around the block if getting many of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre stations, like WYOU-22, WBRE-28, WVIA-41, WOLF-56, and of course WNEP-16. Almost fortunately for Lehigh Valley viewers, WNEP-TV has an outlying translator on South Mountain nearby the city of Allentown. Unfortunately, the signal is only a straight shot through the city of Allentown and some of next door neighbor Bethlehem. My house, some 7 miles west of the city, is not in the LOS of the translator station. Not-so-ironically, I live in a super area for Allentown TV reception. I can pick up the 3 Allentown stations, WFMZ-69 (IND), WBPH-60 (IND), WLVT-39 (PBS), with no struggle from my rabbit ears (with UHF band) RCA indoor antenna. Before shopping for an outdoor antenna, I wanted to, first, check the TV fool and Rabbit Ears for all channel options and transmitter details, which includes most Scranton/Wilkes-Barre stations, and what I'd need to pick them up. But I'm still uncertain if I'll be able to receive some of these stations. Would anyone mind lending a helpful hand?

Cheers! Scott

Scott,

You'll want to visit TVFool.com and provide us with the link to your report. There's no real generic answer to your question, it really depends on your exact location relative to the local terrain. WNEP is probably the easiest signal to catch out of the five, but it's impossible to say how much effort it will require, or if it's feasible at all, until we know the exact reception conditions.

- Trip

Scott,

I live just south of Nazareth, PA.

I have a Channel Master CM4228 UHF antenna with a CM7777 pre-amp installed on my house.

P1010992.JPG

There is no rotor on the antenna. I aimed the antenna to get the maximum signal level on my Hoppers from the Philadelphia stations. I receive the following stations at 100% level on my Hoppers:
KYW
WCAU
WPHL
WTXF
WYBE
WLVT
WGTW
WTVE
WPSG
WPPX
WUVP
WFMZ
WBPH

To my surprise, my antenna is also picking up the following Wilkes-Barre/Scranton stations on my Hoppers at about a 70% level:
WOLF
WVIA
WNEP

I assume the antenna design is allowing these stations to be picked-up from the rear of the antenna and I could improve the receive level if the antenna was rotated more in their direction but it's fine for me now.

If you get a good VHF/UHF antenna you might be able to get the stations you desire but as was mentioned before it all depends on your exact location.

I didn't know for sure what my reception would be like prior to the installation. I just decided to roll the dice and install the antenna.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
Unfortunately, I guess because I'm new around the block, I cannot post a URL link. So I've included a picture with my results.report.PNGHope everyone can see that well.

I've had the pleasure of using a Coax-USB adapter with my rabbit ears to get WNEP-TV from W07DC-D on my laptop when I'm in range from the low-power translator, usually near the LV Mall or Playdrome Rose Bowl.

I assume the antenna design is allowing these stations to be picked-up from the rear of the antenna and I could improve the receive level if the antenna was rotated more in their direction but it's fine for me now.

Bob

I also have a 4228, but no amp. I get very good reception off the back, too.

Scott,

This is the info from TVFool.com for my location in Nazareth, PA.

TVFool 12-1-2013.png

As you can see there is a 146 degree difference between the Philadelphia and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton stations.

Based on the information you provided for your location, it appears that the Philadelphia and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton stations are exactly 180 degrees apart which means that the 4228 antenna might be ideal for your location to pickup locals from both locations without a rotor.

Note that I have the original Channel Master 4228 that is no longer manufactured. The replacement is the Channel Master 4228HD http://www.channelmaster.com/EXTREMEtenna_CM_4228HD_s/43.htm

Here is a review of the "old" 4228 vs the "new" 4228HD
http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparisons/CM4228New_vs_CM4228Old.htm

Hope this helps.

Bob

I think you probably have a better shot at it than TVFool gives you credit for. But you will have to go outdoors with your antenna; I can't imagine an attic or indoor antenna getting the job done.

I think you'll find that WNEP is easiest, followed by WOLF and WVIA, then lastly WYOU and WBRE will need a VHF antenna, if you want to bother with them.

As far as a specific antenna, I'm not sure I can make that recommendation. Bob, having first hand experience in your local area, would probably be the best person to advise you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)