Mounting satellite dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ryan14

Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
aussie
Our new house does not have a Dish Network satellite dish. This is what my concrete tile roof looks like:

http://www.southfloridaroofing.com/images/Eagle_Malibu.jpg

If I lift 1 up and put a cable underneath it, how will the tile go right back down if there is a cable preventing this?

Or is the white wood between the gutter and tiles in the way? If a hole was drilled through this white wood would it lead to inside my roof?

For safety reasons, does the cable need to be grounded for lightning protection?

ryan14 said:
Our new house does not have a Dish Network satellite dish. This is what my concrete tile roof looks like:

If I lift 1 up and put a cable underneath it, how will the tile go right back down if there is a cable preventing this?

Or is the white wood between the gutter and tiles in the way? If a hole was drilled through this white wood would it lead to inside my roof?

For safety reasons, does the cable need to be grounded for lightning protection?

As far as running a cable into the attic thru the tile roof, i wouldnt attempt that, i woukd find another way, besides you should really go inside the attic and see what might be behind all that.

As for mounting a dish on that tile, bettermlook into a versatile mount, it is designed for roofs like that, making no penetrations. Good luck.

As far as running a cable into the attic thru the tile roof, i wouldnt attempt that, i woukd find another way, besides you should really go inside the attic and see what might be behind all that.

As for mounting a dish on that tile, bettermlook into a versatile mount, it is designed for roofs like that, making no penetrations. Good luck.

Can you post a pic of a "versatile mount" so I can have a look?

You do NOT mount/feed the cables on/through the roof! You use either an eave mount or mount it to the house and feed the cables through the eaves into the attic.

This is easily done with a roof ridge saddle mount. It is a non-penetrating mount that straddles the ridge tiles and follows the pitch of the roof on either side. I haven't seen a commercial version, but here's something without the opening for the peak tiles: Skyvision Satellite Equipment

As for getting the cable in, you might try feeding it down through a downspout. I DO NOT recommend fishing the cable under the tile as it may draw water in with it.

hm. I was told a "versatile mount" was a mount that had the ability to look at either arc. I learned something new today. Its versatile in the sense it can be used for either arc....

However you mount the reflector make sure it is grounded to the house ground. Some might disagree, but it is code.

pole mounts in South Bned LSC requires a call to our IM for approval. Its kinda stupid but we must "save" money. Did I mention he is the one that approved a 3 dish solution that reqiured 3 pole mounts

Versatile Mounts is more of a company name. They make such things as the tile mount, rail mount, under-eave mount, and wall extension mount.

ryan14 said:

As a tech I wouldn't even attempt the versatile mount if others were available. For a professional to do a versatile install has to have an FSM or IM on site. You have other options like telescopic wall mount, soffit mount, rail mount (given you have a balcony), under eave mount (if your rafters are showing under your eave) and finally pole mount. And yes, please ground the system using a high freq grounding block.

More accurately, VERSATILE Mount is a registered trademark of Infinite Innovations, Inc. It is unique to a product for mounting dishes on the slope of a concrete tile roof.

Versatile Satellite Dish Mounting System

Ok, I could be wrong about that, I never really look too close at the box. Once you figure out how to assemble them, you don't look at anything with writing anymore. Just to be sure though, I might take a look at the rail mount manufacturer name again since I have seen a mount by Versatile Mounts, and haven't yet installed a tile mount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts