Mounting The Pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hakkamike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Here are a few picts of the pole I just got finished putting up. It came out pretty much level, good enough for me, just need to put the weather boot on before it rains :D

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 154
Wow... You are much braver than I am!

Be sure to cap the top of the pole too to keep the weather out. One of the those rubber / tin flash vent-pipe seals should work out good for the hole in the roof.

Is that enough bracing? When the wind blows against your dish you do not want any movement at all. Not being in the trade, I really do not know, but it does look to me that you should add some additional cross members at 90deg to the ones you have bolted the pipe into for it has additional support against the neighbouring rafters. This would spread any forces across multiple rafters and not just a single rafter. Metal plates between the mounting pipe and the wood would also spread the contact area on the wood for further support. A hole in the bottom of the pipe with a bolt through the pipe, a metal plate and through the wood would prevent any turning of the pipe. Anyways, as I said, not being in the trade, I really do not know. It does look like a nice neat job. Don't forget to ground the pole.

I am going to put two braces on the top roof 2x6's and one more U-Bolt also, I think that it will work at just fine, I weight 160 and pushed pretty hard from both directions and it didnt move at all just flexed the pipe a little bit...

I had the EXACT same setup back in the motherland, it worked well. It gets VERY windy in the West of Scotland and when it was really bad you could hear it swish by the pole (All over the house), it was a lot like living on a ship.

Nice work!

Hakkamike said:
Here are a few picts of the pole I just got finished putting up. It came out pretty much level, good enough for me, just need to put the weather boot on before it rains :D
You should do it drill the hole one more single down from where you has now. And I hope you know what to do with the roof as well. Its not simple just place a rubber boot cap to the pole, I am so sure you will see leaking water soon when its rain.

I am not try to bother you, but we did lots openning roof for vent hood and never open hole that close to the top.

Well I just got the pole out to cut it down 18 inches and finally got the weather boot installed correct. I guessed at where the rotor was placed and am getting50 on telstar 5 :D . I will fine tune it tomorrow. I hope these picts will help someone thinking about doing the same setup.....

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 139
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts