Move from Dish to Voom

kccody

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
I currently have Dish and I am thinking about cancelling and trying Voom. I've only had Dish since August 2004 and Comcast cable before that. While I have been relatively happy with Dish, I would like to have more HD choices. My question, if after the 6 month commitment to Voom, I decide to go back to Dish will I...

1. Have to purchase an 811. I currently lease and had to pay no fee (deposit?) for the 811.
2. Would I be eligible for the 942 (with paying a $250.00 deposit) and leasing.
3. Would I have to pay to have the satellite reinstalled.

Are there any other cost or issues that may arise that I have not thought of?

Thank you for any input you might have.

This forum and the Voom forum have been very helpful.

Thanks. I just contacted Dish. If I was to go back to Dish, I wouldhave to pay a $25.00 restart fee. Pay $99.00 installation fee to hook up and purchase a reciever (811, 921 or 942). I did not get the cost of those recievers. I would alsohave to pay for 2 month in advance billing.

I asked about pausing the account. I was told I could for up to 6 months. The cost would total $10.00 a month. $5.00 per month for pausing the account and $5.00 for leasing the reciever.

I know you can get different stories depending on what CSR you get. That does this right? If the total cost for pausing the account was $5.00, the decison would be easier.

kccody said:
Thanks. I just contacted Dish. If I was to go back to Dish, I wouldhave to pay a $25.00 restart fee. Pay $99.00 installation fee to hook up and purchase a reciever (811, 921 or 942). I did not get the cost of those recievers. I would alsohave to pay for 2 month in advance billing.

I asked about pausing the account. I was told I could for up to 6 months. The cost would total $10.00 a month. $5.00 per month for pausing the account and $5.00 for leasing the reciever.

I know you can get different stories depending on what CSR you get. That does this right? If the total cost for pausing the account was $5.00, the decison would be easier.
I would suggest you get this information in the form of an emaIL SO YOU CAN PRINT IT FOR FUTURE PROBLEMS GETTING dish TO HONOR THE VERBAL COMMITMENTS BY A csr. :) :) :)

Hmmm.. To start back up they say you have to purchase a receiver, but yet to pause the account you have to pay $5 to lease a receiver... Something funny there.

Are they going to charge a receiver leasing fee, yet you won't have a receiver?
As far as purchasing a receiver when you come back, wouldn't you/we/whomever be able to take advantage of a current promotion at the time like their Dishin' it up??

I believe if you don't pause or put an account on standby, you are in essence cancelling your E* subscription, and returning customers (for years?) are not allowed in on the promotions for new leasing customers; hence, the need to by your equipment to start up again. I heard though that you can get back with E* through those package deals with SBC (if available where you live) if you've been away for 6 months or more.

If you pause your account, you are still an installed leasing customer and hold on to (at least) one receiver. The pausing account option with E*, I believe is geared toward folks that aren't inhabiting their residence for an extended period of time (travel, 2nd home, etc.). Not for people who want to shop around for other services.

Once you leave *E for *V HD you will never want to go back. The big question is will Chuck Dolan be able to keep his vastly superior service alive. Once your OTA issues are worked out and with the much improved state of the VOOM software, you will be quite happy that you made the move up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts