Movers Connection Install Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kascls

Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I've been a Directv customer for a few years, I subscribe to the NFL Package and the college football package. I have a HDTIVO, a HD receiver and 3 standard receivers. I have about 18 mos left on my DTV commitment. I moved last week and arranged for an installation via the Movers Connection. The new location (Chattanooga) offers locals via satelite but not in HD. The new house has an existing 3-lnb dish on the roof.

The installer showed up as scheduled, said he could not use the existing dish, that he could only install a 5-lnb dish along with a second round dish for locals. He also said he would not remove the "old" dish. After surveying the property he determined there was not adequate line of sight for the new dish. Here is my question...if the 5-lnb dish is not usable for my situation, what happens to my commitment? Do we simply agree to go seperate ways? Will Directv try to make me pay a penalty to break my commitment even though I am unable to receive their service?

Thanks in advance!

if there is a 3 lnb dish already in place then the more than likely the 5 lnb would have worked. I would think that the tech meant that your local dish was the problem of NLOS (no line of site). If that was the case then a off air antenna would be needed for locals. I am not from your area but from what i gather the second dish would be pointed at the 72.5 bird which is pointed at a different direction then your existing 3 lnb dish.
As for your commitment , i doubt you will be able to cancel without some sort of penalty.

Last edited:
Unless your in Tree City, a 5 LNB Dish should work where the 3 LNB Dish is placed right now.

You might not have a line of site towards 72.5, but there is always an OTA antenna.

Probably got a lazy installer, if Directv lets you out of your committment you can always switch to DISH.

Which dish was LOS? Did the installer say, and tell you what was in the way?

These guys are right a 5 LNB dish should work just fine in the 3 LNB dishes place providing the 3 LNB dish had at least 10 degrees clear to begin with.

FWIW I wouldn't remove the existing dish either, at least not the foot if it has bishop tape under it like its supposed to. Trying to take that foot off will destroy the shingle under it.

If you post your location one of us might be able to determin your HSP and get you contact info for them to complain about the installer.

Also if the current dish is pointed correctly, theres a working switch and cable you could plug your HD receiver into the dish and see what you get till you get this straightened out.

The installer said the new 5-lnb dish had the LOS issue. As a matter of fact, they are scheduled to come out today to install the round "local" dish. As it turns out, I don't need the 5-lnb dish for my location - so I am told (by Directv). I am located in Ringgold GA (30736), just outside Chattanooga.

I connected the living room TV into one of the cables coming from the existing dish, works fine.

Thanks for the responses.

Some of that is correct;

1. If the PhaseIII can get LOS, the AT9 can get LOS.

2. The AT9 (for now) is really only for DMAs getting, or close to getting, HD LIL delivered via DBS, which you are not, so the PhaseIII with added 18" is correct.

3. Eventually the added LNBs will be needed for other MPEG4 programming.

3b. You will need the AT9 down the road, so getting it done now will save you money, a service call and more than likely a contract extension later. You will be prepared for future additions today.

I signed the contract on the house, and will be using movers conection in the next week. Wish me luck.

grydlok said:
That is so not true.
most of the time it is true, if the house has a open in the canopy that only has a view of the 101,110,and119 but not for the 99 is very rare.(oh and the 103 is located between 101 and 110) the new dish just needs that room for the 99 slot along with the 101,110,and119.. if you have probs getting the 99 from an existing 3 lnb dish then that house has probs with signal during windy days more than likely.

Last edited:
Update

The original installer never went up to where the 3-lnb dish was located. My roof is high and the slope is steep. The dish is mounted on the end wall of the house, above the garage roof line. After several calls to the installer and DirecTV, I finally called customer retention, asked for a supervisor and requested they send a different installer - from a different installation company- to come out and take a look. He agreed and I am waiting to hear from the new insaller. I am trying to get the 5-lnb dish installed.

I am going to have to have my D* put in before my new ant mast goes up. So I will have to pay the guy to put a pole in (worth the money to pay him versus further screwing up my back) But since I am going to pay the guy, He better do it right.

Where do they attach the support arms when the dish is on a pole?

stevo/65 said:
most of the time it is true, if the house has a open in the canopy that only has a view of the 101,110,and119 but not for the 99 is very rare.(oh and the 103 is located between 101 and 110) the new dish just needs that room for the 99 slot along with the 101,110,and119.. if you have probs getting the 99 from an existing 3 lnb dish then that house has probs with signal during windy days more than likely.

Sometimes You can't put a KaKu dish in the same spot also.
KaKu aren't very good at splitting trees for the 119.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Where do they attach the support arms when the dish is on a pole?
You don't, you make sure the pole has 2 1/2 to 3 ft below the ground (or frost line deep) and at most 3 ft above to support the dish correctly as well as at least a 100 LBs of concrete in the hole. D* install guide states 150 LBs.

I dig a 3ft x 8in diameter hole and fill it with concrete after pounding the pole another 6 to 8 inches down (hey my arms only 3ft from fingers to arm pit). Usually takes 3 bags. Others simply use post hole diggers and make a hole 2ft x 5in and one bag of concrete.

The support arms aren't needed when pole mounting. They're used to help secure the short mast that comes with the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts