Status
Please reply by conversation.

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
Asking for a friend.

Here is his situation. He and his wife are successful people, probably the wealthy-est people I know. He has a high end multi-HD DirecTV set up. Empty nesters. Nice install, with interior walls.

He has about 18 months to go for an early retirement. Wife just got a great job in another city. He and wife have decided to live apart (totally amicable) for the period.

His question to me, and thus my question to the group:

He would like to have DirecTV HD at both locations. Would want to move 2 of his HD sets with the wife to her new location and keep one for himself, along with 2 SD sets.

Will DirecTV work with him in any way?

Asking for a friend.

Here is his situation. He and his wife are successful people, probably the wealthy-est people I know. He has a high end multi-HD DirecTV set up. Empty nesters. Nice install, with interior walls.

He has about 18 months to go for an early retirement. Wife just got a great job in another city. He and wife have decided to live apart (totally amicable) for the period.

His question to me, and thus my question to the group:

He would like to have DirecTV HD at both locations. Would want to move 2 of his HD sets with the wife to her new location and keep one for himself, along with 2 SD sets.

Will DirecTV work with him in any way?

This boils-down to the scenario of somebody who owns 2 homes and wants directv at both. I can think of 2 issues involved:

1) whether the D* billing/authorization system can handle having 2 zip codes for one account. it's entirely possible that their billing/auth software only supports one zip per acct. In that case he'd need (2) account numbers to make the authorizations work.

2) who he talks to at DirecTV. it's possible that even if (2) account numbers are required, they might be able to work-out the billing details so he doesn't get screwed during the final/eventual move to one home. If he can't make the first csr understand what he needs help with, then ask for somebody else.

My understanding is that he will need 2 different accounts thus will have 2 different bills. He may be able to talk them into letting the equipment go onto the other account to avoid equipment costs on the new account though.

What it comes down to is, you can't watch tv from the same account at 2 different locations at the same time. That is a violation of the TOS. People who have vacation homes are able to do this because when they vacation, their primary home is vacant and there is no one there to watch tv on the account.

If the guy has that much money though, having 2 accounts/monthly bills shouldn't be a big deal for him.

Actually, that's not accurate any longer - a vacation home requires a second account as well. It's not necessarily a violation of the terms of service either, it's more along the lines of the FCC coming down with the swift hammer of Justice, doling out it's fearsome wrath on any who try to swindle two points of service on one account for either DTV or Dish. It's considered big-daddy fraud, and though I doubt they'd actually pursue something as small as that, I would not push my luck - lawsuits are crazy these days against us, the customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)