Moving a Dish for Construction?

midweb23

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
My current dish setup has the satellite dish mounted to my south wall of our family room. We are putting in an addition that will move this wall 20 feet out to create a bigger family room. What should I do for the 2-3 month construction period? Do I call Dish and explain this, the thought of that scares me! How do I temporarily move the dish to still get programming and then move it to the completed addition? Who do I call? Any help would be appreciated.

If you use to dish it will cost some money. You can always upgrade and what not but your talking about moving it twice. Once to a temporary position, second to a permanent position.

If the cable is long enough you might see if you have a line of sight for a poll or post mount for the time being that would be out of the way of construction. I would worry about construction equipment damaging the cables.

Other wise it might be worthwhile to just find another permenent spot that would allow you not to have to move it back when construction ends.

This should be written into your construction documents. You can almost certainly move it to a temporary pole mount, but the contractor must then accept responsibility for making sure none of his equipment damages either the cables or the dishes (like whacking it with a backhoe).

When roofers did a complete tear-off on my roof they tried to tell me they weren't responsible for the dish. I said, "It may be that NORMALLY you're not responsible for the dish, but on this job you are responsible for protecting it during demolition, not to exceed 24 hours, and for properly remounting. You are not responsible for re-peaking the signal."

I had it written into the contract. It's not a big deal. In my case all the really did was remove the dishes, still on their mounts, and suspend them over the side of the house, NOT using the cable as a tie-off. When done, they brought them back up and bolted them back onto the roof after squaring things up and placing them as near as possible to where they were. Mast plumb. That's all I expected out of them. They aren't satellite installers. They're roofers.

But after MANY years in construction supervision, I can tell you that they will ALWAYS try to tell you they aren't responsible and unless it's written into the contract they will ALWAYS be not responsible. They usually have it in their boilerplate somewhere. MAKE them responsible, but in as simple a fashion as you can. Get the construction company supervisor out there, explain the concern, and figure out how it will be solved. You may need to compromise on such things as ..... where can a temporary pole mount go that will be out of the way of the construction activity? If the location is mutually agreed upon, then it becomes that construction supervisor's responsibility to see that it isn't disturbed. You may need to install the pole yourself and remount the dishes, but once done, they should be protected for the duration of the construction. This includes the cables. How can you protect the cables? What kind of heavy equipment do they expect to bring in? Can the cables be protected in conduit in such as way that you can simply separate it at a splice and move it out of the way on those days when equipment might damage it?

Think a little bit. Anyone on here can tell you anything they want as far as opinion. This is YOUR construction job. YOU need to take responsibility and come up with a solution that works and doesn't place so much responsibility on the contractor, that he charges you up the wazoo for fear of you losing TV for an afternoon.

Based on what your paying for the addition, part of that expense is moving the Dish. I would see if you can have it moved to an area not effected by the contstruction.

If not, best thing to do is a temporary pole in the yard and then back on the side of the house when the addition is finished.

I would strongly consider having the contractor run new wires to the Dish so they are inside the wall to the new addition. This way you will only see the Dish, and the wires will go into the house a few inches below the Dish, instead of all the way down the wall and into the basement or crawlspace.

Here is my Dish. Note the Orange conduit in the brick...

IMG_0307.JPG

As for a temp pole, get a cheap roof mount tripod, a short ground anchor, a ratchet tie down strap and a three foot pole. You can make this setup as solid as a pole in concrete, but it is removable. Do this for RV customers all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)