moving a dish

freeman543

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 29, 2010
us
I live in Missouri and have a vacation home in Wisconsin, can I move my dish and bring a receiver with me and set it up temporarily without contacting dish? I have an extra dish and could leave it at the vacation home. do i need to reprogram my receiver? point at a different satalite ect? is it worth it? i am only there for a week or so and don't want to pay again for something i only would use a few weeks a year. thanks.

I live in Missouri and have a vacation home in Wisconsin, can I move my dish and bring a receiver with me and set it up temporarily without contacting dish?
best to get a second dish. you can move the receiver to the vacation home but you will lose the locals since they are on a spotbeam.

I have an extra dish and could leave it at the vacation home.
that would work the best. Thats what we do. MOve the reciever between the home and cabin

do i need to reprogram my receiver?
only Dish can do that. The channels would be the same but you wouldnt have the locals from Missouri.

point at a different satalite ect? is it worth it? i am only there for a week or so and don't want to pay again for something i only would use a few weeks a year. thanks.

it depends on what you currently have. What receiver/dish setup do you have?

Thanks ice, I have VIP722, VIP612, VIP211K and an extra dish 1000 ( oval ) , dish a neighbor gave me. I have HD and the 250 package.

If you have a different dish in WI then you have at home, you will need to do a check switch each time you move it so the receiver knows what sats your pointing at. If they are the same dishes, you shouldn't have to do anything.

what is a check switch? thanks. Would i get the same satellite in wi as missouri? Do I just hold the dish in different areas until i get a signal. I do have a modest compass. thanks for all the help.

actually, let me start over, I pay $100 month in Missouri for 3 receivers and a dish is mounted on my house. I have a vacation home I visit a few weeks a year. Dishnet told me I had to set up a new system there and pay monthly there too, I that correct? If not can't dishnet set me up a dish at my vacation home and I just bring my receiver with me when I go? I will pay them for the dish and labor ( one time ) . I can't be the only one wanting this set up. thanks for your responses.

You need to set the dish up yourself at the second location if you want to move the one receiver from one location to the other.

If Dish does the install, then you'll have to have a 2nd account (and a 2 year agreement)

What I would do is the next time I went to the lake house I would bring the receiver I wanted to use with me. I would then go to the nearest town that had an independent satellite retailer/installer (I think AEI satellite covers WI and I'm sure there are others). I would purchase the proper antenna from them and I would hire one of their technicians to install it for me. Done!

Ed

What I would do is the next time I went to the lake house I would bring the receiver I wanted to use with me. I would then go to the nearest town that had an independent satellite retailer/installer (I think AEI satellite covers WI and I'm sure there are others). I would purchase the proper antenna from them and I would hire one of their technicians to install it for me. Done!

Ed

Yes , I called an installer up there and he is going out to see if I can get a signal ( trees ) and said it would cost $ 230 for a duel receiver install with a new dish and would show me what to do when transporting the receiver back and forth. No Contract needed he said ( ? , nor would I sign one ) . Does that sound like a fair price? I have no clue how to aim the dish even though I did most of the install for the tech that hooked mine up. I like to do things myself and thought I could use a dish a neighbor gave me but I don't want to spend a frustrating day pointing a dish all over the sky hoping to hit a signal, so I will hire this guy if he calls back. Thanks to all for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)