moving a subscribed receiver to Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

playyymaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
My family has a subscription to DirectTV in Florida and I would like to take one of the subscribed receivers to Canada. Is this possible?

Thanks,

My family has a subscription to DirectTV in Florida and I would like to take one of the subscribed receivers to Canada. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Of course it is possible Illegal but possible.

Would a moderator please pass this fools information on to Signal Integrity at Directv?:)

Is there any satellite service in Canada? I was near the boarder on both sides at Sault Ste Marie and also at Windsor, Ontario. I saw many dishes spiked up in trees and on roofs? DTV leaks?

Joe

I have been a member for a long time now and I strongly oppose to people stealing anything. My question was very simple. I do not intend to steal signal as this is an extra subscribed reciever that I would be paying my family monthly for.
I would like to know if it will work when I get to Vancouver and add it to my fta system.

Thanks

I have been a member for a long time now and I strongly oppose to people stealing anything. My question was very simple. I do not intend to steal signal as this is an extra subscribed reciever that I would be paying my family monthly for.
I would like to know if it will work when I get to Vancouver and add it to my fta system.

Thanks

There are actually laws in Canada prohibiting the use of U.S. satellite services even if the account is being paid for. The laws are in place to protect Canadian based home satellite services-Bell Expressvu and Star Choice.

If you take a receiver from an account in Florida to use the service both in Florida and Canada its considered account stacking which is illegal and your considered stealing from Directv.

If you take all your receivers from Florida to Canada, and only have service in Canada, or start a new account with a US address and use the service in Canada its considered Gray market. Still illegal, because you can't legally subscribe to Directv in Canada but it is not stealing!

You haven't been tazed until you have been tazed by Homeland Security. They think the Patriot Act supersedes the Constitution. They bust tourists for taking pictures. Bringing an illegal DTV box across the boarder would make them wet themselves. Dudley Doright is still with the RCMP . Don't try it!

Joe

You haven't been tazed until you have been tazed by Homeland Security. They think the Patriot Act supersedes the Constitution. They bust tourists for taking pictures. Bringing an illegal DTV box across the boarder would make them wet themselves. Dudley Doright is still with the RCMP . Don't try it!

Joe

I have not had any problems bringing DirecTV receivers into Canada. In fact, one I bought on Ebay and had shipped via post and the Canadian customs even attempted to charge tax and duty on it! There are many people who drive their satellite dish-equipped RVs across the Canadian border and use their DirecTV receivers in Canada.

I have not had any problems bringing DirecTV receivers into Canada. In fact, one I bought on Ebay and had shipped via post and the Canadian customs even attempted to charge tax and duty on it! There are many people who drive their satellite dish-equipped RVs across the Canadian border and use their DirecTV receivers in Canada.

NM,
You are probably right. I had one silly experience crossing the boarder. Homeland searched a yuppie Volvo, spreading out their junk and frisking the kids. We were told the computer had selected our vehicle for a search also.....empty pick up.
Since it was almost quitting time they let us pass.

A friend did try to deliver a piece if industrial equipment across the boarder into Canada years ago........Canada customs just wrote the serial number down and said to bring the machine back out with him. End of smuggle!

When you fly over the earth you can't see the boarders. The rules we discuss here sometimes need a little kidding.

Joe

The day that an INDIVIDUAL gets arrested for watching TV in Canada is the day that I start to devote a lot of my personal time to challenging the constitutionality of all the current 'laws' on the books. I have a very hard time believing that could ever be the case. What has happened (and could still), is that businesses that make their money by setting up customers and selling subscriptions could get busted.

The day that an INDIVIDUAL gets arrested for watching TV in Canada is the day that I start to devote a lot of my personal time to challenging the constitutionality of all the current 'laws' on the books. I have a very hard time believing that could ever be the case. What has happened (and could still), is that businesses that make their money by setting up customers and selling subscriptions could get busted.

Bert,
You could have a point. Radio Free Europe and Voice of America and he BBC all work (worked) hard at sending messages across borders
And places like Cuba worked at blocking those messages. What you have cited is the difference between selling a product and laws that regulate who can sell and who can buy. I think in the USA / Canada example it is just the money.

Joe

Be a Man!

Don't listen to those weenies out there, believe in yourself and never give up your dignity. :up:rolleyes: You've paid for directv services, so you're free to watch it anywhere with north america. Make sure to bring a compass with you and access to the azimuth/elevation/skew before you cross da border.

Happy surfing space via satellite tv. :hungry:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts