Moving and HD upgrade

hink10

Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I have had dish for several years, I am planning a move and our new house has 2 HD TVs. We do not currently have HD. I called to take advantage of the dish mover deal and was disappointed that customer service was outsourced to India, very hard to understand. Anyway I was told that there would be a $200 HD upgrade fee. I'd rather not pay the upgrade fee. I see there is a deal with that you can get free install and DVR upgrade and have to be a new customer. I'm sure I could have my wife activate a new account. Still trying to decide rather or not to do the 2 year contract or pay the $49 fee. The free dish mover deal is mentioned with contract so it seems if I can do the dish movers, I should be able to get free DVR upgrade? Sorry if that makes no sense.

I'm actually more concerned with the installation. Our new home is wired very nicely for cable to all rooms. I assume the installer will be able to tap into the existing coax junction in the basement for a clean, easy job. How do they wire for the DVRs that feed two sets? Is TV 2 feed directly from the TV 1 location? I want to have an idea before they come. I've seen some good and some really bad installers. I really don't want them to have to do a bunch of wiring as the house is very nice and it's only 2 years old. I've also read that you can use a wireless connection.

I will have 2 HD sets and 2 SD sets. The configuration options online seem fairly limited. I have 2 501 DVRs that I do not pay a DVR fee for now. Would I be able to have 1 HD DVR and one HD receiver or both HD DVR's and still use my old DVRs for the SD sets or would the dual tuner boxes be the way to go? I guess I'm asking what would be the cheapest subscription and cleanest install. I've been reading a lot, but still confused. Any input would be appreciated.

I really just need to know how the wiring works for a 2 set DVR? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve

alright, they could use your existing cable to setup the 722's (that i assume you are getting) to work. All they would do is back feed your TV2 signal through the same cable your sat feed is coming in on with a diplexer. At your cable junction box, they would put in another diplexer to split it back out and run it to the TV 2 that way.

Upgrading to two 722s @ $75 each is $150 plus the HD upgrade install of $50 probably results in the $200 charge they came up with. You'll have to agree to a 24-month commitment as well unless you can get a better deal with the retention folks. There shouldn't be any DVR fees on the 501s as they are single tuner receivers. They probably will charge the $5 additional receiver fee for both tuners. They'll probably charge the DVR fee for a second 722.

I'd probably have the wife get the account and start over as a new customer.

I am facing a similar situation as the OP. I currently have AEP with a leased 510, owned 508, and 2 owned older receivers. I am probably going to move soon and would like new equipment and a lower bill. My ideal set up would be 2 leased dual tuner receivers going to 4 televisions (1 hd), and my fee free 508 dvr activated for a total of 5 tuners. I would like to drop my package down to AT 250 with locals and hd essentials. I haven't made any calls yet but probably will be ready to in a week or two. I am excepting to be better off canceling my account of many years and becoming a 'new customer'. If anyone has any tips to get the best deal/lowest bill, I would appreciate them. Thanks

I assume the installer will be able to tap into the existing coax junction in the basement for a clean, easy job.

Your internal wiring sounds fine.

Now, getting the cables to the junction in the basement from the Dish might get tricky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)