Moving and V* policy = no good options

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
What would you guys/gals do?

Serious quandry here as we (read 'I') like the programming and would like to keep V*. Problem is that V* isn't doing anything to keep us. I've called on two occasions giving them the opportunity to throw us a bone with some sort of deal. Nothing!

Why would a company nearly buried in the grave insist that a customer of 8 months pay a $125 moving fee and put us thru the debacle of a de-install and then another re-install. It also means an increase in the monthly VaVaVoom subscription fee.

No pleading has done any good. The wife says 'cancel'

I'm sleeping on it for one more night (and looking for feedback) with the feeling right now that the Sony HD200 D* reciever will be coming out of mothballs.

Mr. Biggles,

I feel your pain and can not understand why VOOM hasn't revised some of their unpopular policies that have been repeated beat-up here on the Forum. :confused:

I'm in a similar situation. I really like VOOM programming, but I'm going with a single provider after the New Year and VOOM had better be ready to offer a reasonably complete, feature-laden, and competitively priced whole home solution or I'll cancel. I'm tired of paying for both VOOM AND Cable, and there is only so much I am willing to pay to watch TV.

Cable now offers 14 HD channels and could be up to 16 by January (including INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies). Plus, their HD DVR rental is only $7.95 per month and cable card rental (for the 2nd HDTV) is only $1.75. My 3rd analog set needs no additional equipment. Depending on VOOM's 2005 pricing, VOOM's whole house solution could be anywhere from $36 to $58 more per month than a similar Cable lineup....minus the 21 VOOM Exclusives.

Are the VOOM Exclusives worth $58 a month? No way! However, if they were to charge $9.95 DVR rental and provide free thin-clients w/$5 mirror fee, then I may be willing to pay $36 for the VOOM Exclusives and their working whole home networking solution. Of course, this assumed they are going to add many of the popular cable favorites (Lifetime, Food, HGTV, etc.), additional HD channels (INHD, INHD2, Wealth-TV), and PPV (movies, sporting events, etc.).

Also, there is NO WAY IN HECK I AM GOING TO PAY SOME MONKEY $199 to install 2 more boxes in my home. I would be willing to sign a 12 month programming agreement or install it myself. This is a deal breaker!!!

I have had several bad experiences with Cable TV providers over the years, so I'm 99% sure I will be terminating service when their special HD DVR promotion ends in February. Either VOOM gets it act together or I will be watching the highest quality HD, from 4 DMAs, via my two OTA antennas. After all, there is only so much I willing to pay to watch TV.

Oh, to answer your question...I wouldn't pay the $125! I would ask permission to install the equipment myself or else tell them to come get the equipment. It's probably a safe bet to relocate and install the equipment yourself and then change your billing address. What's the worst that could happen?

Bill,
To keep Voom, you have to pay the ridiculous moving fee and have another 'professional' installation, plus they start charging you the new higher rate? Or, do it yourself and give them a change of address, and billing rate stays the same for another 2 months before going up.

To go with D*, you already have a receiver, and they do an installation for free?

If there is anybody from Voom reading this thread, you can keep a long-term customer by waiving a $125 fee and giving him a break on his monthly bill for 2 lousy months. Throw the man a bone. He has stuck with Voom for 8 months when others have quit in droves. If keeping a customer is of so little importance that he is not worth $150, then you are going to lose another one.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The moving the dish and just calling them up is a good option....but...it really is the principle of the whole thing thats rubbing me bad. V* has shown no interest in trying to keep a long(ish) term customer. Not much incentive if you ask me to stick with them. Which is quite sad.

Mr. Biggles,

Take in consideration that we call the V* number customer support (which everyone say that they are nice), these people have very little power in their hands to make a decision. This is a third party company who is reading from a manual like a "robot" and are not looking at it from the customer point of view. This is the feeling I get from the CSRs. Very nice people but are not able to make a decision which is not the manual. Not their fault but that's what they have been told. However, when you speak to someone at VOOM, the company (whether is through Wilt or someone else that works directly with VOOM) the mood changes and things get done. Talking to CSRs and Installs Inc to get things like this done sometimes (sadly to say) is waste. Try to get in touch with Wilt. I am sure that he will put you in contact with the correct people and they will do the correct thing for you. It is sad to say that through the CSRs and Installs Inc these problems cannot be resolved and one has to go higher up to the next level. Again this is another VoOM problem as well.

I see suggestions here to just do the install yourself, then give Voom a change of address. Will this automatically change your DMA mapping for the local channels? Has anyone tried this yet?

Mr. Biggles,
If you're happy with the service (other than this moving issue) I'll say keep it and try the self-install/address-change. Let us know how it goes.

I wouldn't use their service even if they offered it for free, I like doing my own installs.

The Stone Man said:
OK--update time. Either they threw you a bone, or you got boned.

LOL...I think it's going to end up being 'boned'.

I e-mailed Wilt and he said he would check into it. That was a few days ago. Have not heard back. I know thats not a lot of time...but we don't have it decision wise irregardless if I'm partialy to blame. (procrastination)

I called V* the other day giving them another chance. After being put on hold I was informed the situation would be 'escalated'....we all know about that word now don't we :no ...and someone would get back to me in 48 hrs. I told them that they had till today at high noon for an answer. Me thinks that won't happen.

So principle and the fact that VaVaVoom with the STB rental come January will run $100 (I don't know about anyone else, but thats good money each and every month for TV) and is in general a POS ( STB that is) is leaning us toward Adelphia or back to D*. With D* we already have all the equipment....and with Adelphia they have a HD DVR STB for less than $8 month. Adelphia actually has a better HD lineup than D* sans Discovery in our area.

Everyones familar with what D* offers, but I'm surprised what Adelphia offers for $80 including the HD DVR STB rental, which is the following with ABC to come shortly:

702 WGRZ HD WGRZ HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
704 WIVB HD WIVB HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
717 WNED HD WNED HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
750 HD HBO High Definition HBO HBO HD (High Definition)
751 HD SHOWTIME High Definition Showtime Showtime HD (High Definition)
752 HD STARZ Starz High Definition Starz HD (High Definition)
753 HD CINEMAX HD CINEMAX Cinemax HD (High Definition)
770 HD NET HD NET Broadcast HD (High Definition)
771 HDN MOVIES HD NET MOVIES Broadcast HD (High Definition)
772 ESPN HD ESPN High Definition HD PLUS TIER
773 INHD1 iNDemand HD HD PLUS TIER
774 INHD2 iNDemand HD 2 HD PLUS TIER

Well, noon came and went. No call from V*. Big surprise! :rolleyes:

With some remorse, de-install for 11/15.

I'll really miss (believe it or not) Gunslinger V* exclusive.

Definitely have not ruled out V* for the future....but they need to re-invent their customer relations/retention department. The have a great concept as far as I'm concerened but the implementation department has room...errr...vast expanses for improvement.

With the limited customer base that Voom has attracted in the last year, you would think that they would bend a little bit in order to generate some positive feedback and word-of-mouth. Good luck with the move and with your new provider.

And Voom nails another nail into their coffin. Do you think come Jan 1st when all their customers cancel and the phones stop ringing for new business Voom will get the message? You can't keep on shi*ing on your customers if you want to stay in business?

Mr. Biggles said:
which is the following with ABC to come shortly

707 ABC HD Broadcast HD (High Definition) is on Adelphia currently, has been there for a few weeks now.

pmb1010 said:
707 ABC HD Broadcast HD (High Definition) is on Adelphia currently, has been there for a few weeks now.

Even better. I went based on what was listed at their web site. The CSR said ABC was on when I called but found it odd that the web listing contradicted that.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)