Moving Before A Year is Up to an Apartment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TopRamen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Hey Guys,

I'm moving from one apartment to another (moving in with the ole ball and chain) and I'm only going to be 8 months into my DTV contract, and my on-time payment history isn't perfect. (The first few months I kept thinking I had paid my bill, but I had just gotten to the confirmation screen... So i'd close out thinking i'd paid until a couple weeks later I'd get a late notice... I'm dense, I know, no excuse.)

I've heard that DTV can charge around $250 for installation service to move you if your payment history isn't great. Is this true? Also, would this cost include a non-penetrating roof mount? Because That's what I'm going to need.

I love DTV but if that's how much the installation is going to cost me, I may have to just bite the bullet and cancel. That just seems about $150 too much...

What are the alternatives?

Well, you'd probably end up owing them more to cancel than to relocate even if they do charge you $250. The best way to know is to call them up and see what they tell you.

Any moving you do won't include a non penetrating mount, you will have to pay for that. As for the moving itself, I think it's around $50 to have Directv do it for you. They do have a movers program that will do it for free, but with your payment history and short tenure you probably don't qualify. The only way to tell is to call and ask. Is there any chance you could do the install yourself?

Any moving you do won't include a non penetrating mount, you will have to pay for that. As for the moving itself, I think it's around $50 to have Directv do it for you. They do have a movers program that will do it for free, but with your payment history and short tenure you probably don't qualify. The only way to tell is to call and ask. Is there any chance you could do the install yourself?

Non-pens are free now as long as they are the ONLY option to install the service. However, like you, I believe it's gonna cost him money to move the service. Bad payment history and only 8 months in on a 24 month agreement. Doesn't sound good for the OP :(

Non-pens are free now as long as they are the ONLY option to install the service. However, like you, I believe it's gonna cost him money to move the service. Bad payment history and only 8 months in on a 24 month agreement. Doesn't sound good for the OP :(

Is that national or your local company?

yeah the best thing to do is call Directv and see what they say....only they know the true answer ;)

It's now national. It was just my HSP but directv now demands it. Even if its just a 1 box. They are providing concrete blocks and all. Started the first of the year

Good to know, thanks for the information.

Chances of him doing his own install at a New apt. Complex is probably slim, as far as a roof mount, I doubt the apt would let you on the roof.
Now if he can set it up on him balcony, thats another situation he can look into.

Chances of him doing his own install at a New apt. Complex is probably slim, as far as a roof mount, I doubt the apt would let you on the roof.
Now if he can set it up on him balcony, thats another situation he can look into.

Balcony is a no go, it's east facing and masonry. My landlord wants a non pen mount on the roof and honestly that's the only way it'll work anyway. I'll call dtv today and see what's up. It's nice to know that non penetrating mounts are included now as 80 bucks tacked onto the 250 was probably going to force me to go without dtv for a month.

Balcony is a no go, it's east facing and masonry. My landlord wants a non pen mount on the roof and honestly that's the only way it'll work anyway. I'll call dtv today and see what's up. It's nice to know that non penetrating mounts are included now as 80 bucks tacked onto the 250 was probably going to force me to go without dtv for a month.

Your landlord is gonna let you on the roof for this. ?

Thats excellent news for you, most wouldnt allow it.

Your landlord is gonna let you on the roof for this. ?

Thats excellent news for you, most wouldnt allow it.

Yup, she's making me pay a $200 "dish deposit" so the least she can do is allow roof access. I understand landlords not allowing this, but it seems a little counter productive sometimes, they can have cleaner, more unobtrusive dish installs if they allowed it.

Yup, she's making me pay a $200 "dish deposit" so the least she can do is allow roof access. I understand landlords not allowing this, but it seems a little counter productive sometimes, they can have cleaner, more unobtrusive dish installs if they allowed it.

Is this an apartment complex ?

If so, thats real cool, many complexes wont allow dishes

So, do you get your $200 back when you leave ?

as long as there are no holes drilled and wiring systems are not damaged.

Basically if I get a Non-Penetrating Roof Mount install, with the coax from the dish going to the cable box mounted to the exterior of the building (a short run of coax, maybe 25-35 feet) and connected to my apartment's coax, I should be golden. (there's a short run of Coax from one room to the other, perfect for my 2 room install situation)

My current installation is essentially the same, a dish that was already on the roof of my complex (and an international dish) was hooked up to a SWiM in the cable box on the exterior of the building to coax that went to my apartment. Now I lucked out with the international dish, and I only use it for MHZ Worldview (free without an international pkg, just need the international dish) and i know there's no way in hell they're going to install the international dish at my new place since I'm not paying for a package, and I'm cool with that. I really only watch it when crazy world events break, and it's not a big deal to lose it.

All I want is just a regular Slimline hooked up to my two receivers. *famous last works* how hard can it be?

as long as there are no holes drilled and wiring systems are not damaged.

Basically if I get a Non-Penetrating Roof Mount install, with the coax from the dish going to the cable box mounted to the exterior of the building (a short run of coax, maybe 25-35 feet) and connected to my apartment's coax, I should be golden. (there's a short run of Coax from one room to the other, perfect for my 2 room install situation)

My current installation is essentially the same, a dish that was already on the roof of my complex (and an international dish) was hooked up to a SWiM in the cable box on the exterior of the building to coax that went to my apartment. Now I lucked out with the international dish, and I only use it for MHZ Worldview (free without an international pkg, just need the international dish) and i know there's no way in hell they're going to install the international dish at my new place since I'm not paying for a package, and I'm cool with that. I really only watch it when crazy world events break, and it's not a big deal to lose it.

All I want is just a regular Slimline hooked up to my two receivers. *famous last works* how hard can it ?

Do yourself a favor and check you pre existing cable run....
If there are any cable splitters, youll want to remove them ahead of time.
You need a straight connection to the recvr.

Youll want to get a SWM set up so you can use two recvrs with 1 coax.

It's now national. It was just my HSP but directv now demands it. Even if its just a 1 box. They are providing concrete blocks and all. Started the first of the year

Wonder if the contractor techs have to pay for the blocks themselves and eat the cost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts