Moving card to another receiver and back bad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radionews

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Had to of the same receivers until one got replaced with a Directv Tivo unit. Is there a problem is I take the card out of the receiver that is "on" and put it in the receiver that is "off"?

i would like to put the receiver in the garage and take the card from the receiver in teh bedroom. wouldn;t watch tv in the garage enough to pay $5/month for it.....especially with winter coming.

No, each access car is "married" to a particular receiver. I don't think you'd be able to move it from one receiver to another one and back to the first without going through a csr to re-marry the card to the receiver.

You definetly need to have the card married to the receiver. Taking one out and putting it into another will give you a message that says something like "incorrect Access Card detected."
Your best bet is probably to run a coax cable from the RF output of one of your active recievers. That way you can watch TV in the garage from the receiver in the house.

billbillw said:
Your best bet is probably to run a coax cable from the RF output of one of your active recievers. That way you can watch TV in the garage from the receiver in the house.

You can also use a wireless A/V transmitter/receiver w/remote extension, like this one, and save running additional wires. I bought one, plus an extra receiver, and have it sent from my Great Room D* receiver, to the TV in the kitchen and also the one in the spare bedroom. You can add on additional receivers for any TV in the house.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90048621&loc=111&sp=1

If you talk to the right CSR at DirecTV, they can remarry the card a different receiver. I had that done recently, when I bought an add'l TiVo off of ebay, and didn't want to pay $20 for a new card. I took the card from an old DirecTV receiver that I hadn't used in a few months and had it re-married to the Tivo. It took 3 calls however, until I found a CSR who wanted to help me.

mmlugar said:
If you talk to the right CSR at DirecTV, they can remarry the card a different receiver. I had that done recently, when I bought an add'l TiVo off of ebay, and didn't want to pay $20 for a new card. I took the card from an old DirecTV receiver that I hadn't used in a few months and had it re-married to the Tivo. It took 3 calls however, until I found a CSR who wanted to help me.

I think he just wants to occasionally use the extra receiver. Its not worth it to call D* everytime you want to watch an hour of TV out in the garage, then have to call back when you want to watch TV in the house again. D* would probably get suspicious if you were doing that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)