Moving equipment vs. New

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rhljp

Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
We have been with D* for over 5 years now. We will be moving in 2 weeks, and I'm not sure if I should use the moving option or just set up a new account/subscription. We only have 2 receivers now and want 4 in the new house, but cust. service says they'll only give us 2 receivers for the move and the other 2 will cost $50 each. So, it sounds like the 4 free rooms deals going on now make more sense, however, we are in the middle of the MLB subscription, so we'd loose that. It doesn't seem fair - we've been loyal subscribers. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah, call retention at 800-600-8977 and see what they can do for you.

You probably talked to regular customer service.

Let us know what you get. :up

I am all for calling to see what you can get from them, but people should really understand that handouts ultimately lead to higher per month programming costs at the bottom line, so we all end up paying for those freebies (and more than they were worth) in the long run. Why not keep what you have and your MLB package and buy 2 entry level receivers off of ebay for your new extra rooms (if retention doesn't do it for you)? Then get DirecTV to send you 2 new access cards to you over night for free.

I have been with DirecTV for 9 years and only expect them to replace my gear when THEY outdate it. Unless you just want new hardware for giggles, be somewhat careful, most of the new DirecTV branded gear, IS NOT BETTER than some of the older non-DirecTV branded gear.

Please explain to me the logic in why we should expect a company to give away freebies when you move. I wish that was the deal for everything. I would hate to begin to add up all the electronics, refrigerators, washers, dryers, microwaves, furniture, etc that I have had to replace at my cost over the years. What wakes DBS different? Just wondering.

charper1 said:
I am all for calling to see what you can get from them, but people should really understand that handouts ultimately leads to higher per month programming costs at the bottom line, so we all end up paying for those freebies (and more than they were worth) in the long run. Why not keep what you have and your MLB package and buy 2 entry level receivers off of ebay for your new extra rooms (if retention doesn't do it for you)? Then get DirecTV to send you 2 new access cards to you over night for free.

I have been with DirecTV for 9 years and only expect them to replace my gear when THEY outdate it. Unless you just want new hardware for giggles, be somewhat careful, most of the new DirecTV branded gear, IS NOT BETTER than some of the older non-DirecTV branded gear.

Please explain to me the logic in why we should expect a company to give away freebies you move. I wish that was the deal for everything. I would hate to begin to add up all the electronics, refrigerators, washers, dryers, microwaves, furniture, etc that I have had to replace at my cost over the years. What wakes DBS different? Just wondering.

AMEN!!!!!!

charper1 said:
I am all for calling to see what you can get from them, but people should really understand that handouts ultimately lead to higher per month programming costs at the bottom line, so we all end up paying for those freebies (and more than they were worth) in the long run. Why not keep what you have and your MLB package and buy 2 entry level receivers off of ebay for your new extra rooms (if retention doesn't do it for you)? Then get DirecTV to send you 2 new access cards to you over night for free.

Please explain to me the logic in why we should expect a company to give away freebies when you move. I wish that was the deal for everything. I would hate to begin to add up all the electronics, refrigerators, washers, dryers, microwaves, furniture, etc that I have had to replace at my cost over the years. What wakes DBS different? Just wondering.

I realize that I may be a bit naive here, but I think it's a bit drastic to draw comparisons between the cost of programming and other services to providing a valuable service to a longstanding customer in order to keep their business.

What makes DBS different is that they are providing a service in a fairly demanding and competitive market and I think D* realizes this, hence the reason for a Customer Retention Dept. I would have to say that D* gets nervous each time a sub moves as it opens up the opportunity for the competitors to easily swipe them up. Therefore, I don't think anything is wrong with ToneDeaf's idea of calling Cust Retention to see if they can make the transition easier since keeping subs is the name of the game.

My 2 Cents.

charper1 said:

It will cost more for D* to cancel his current account and have him sign up for a new account to get his 4 receivers!! Instead of him cancelling and resubscribing to get the free recievers they should just give them to him with a 1 year agreement....what is hard to understand about that?

Thus they should enforce their own rules not allowing people to cancel and then turn right around and re-apply as a "new subscriber" when in fact they are not. What's so hard to understand about that?

charper1 said:

Thank god.

rhljp, very simple...you have a spouse, right? Just use their name/SSN to set up the new account. As far as a phone#, if you are keeping the same landline#, just use a cell# to set up the new account - problem all solved. ;) ;) But, since you do have the MLB sub, you could call D* & then explain that you are moving & CANNOT use DBS at your new place (it's an apt, etc.) & then they might credit you back for the unused MLB, but I am not 100% sure about that.

And as far as all the useless replies you got about getting newer equipment, I guess these same people that are asking for "other" companies that give out newer equipment, haven't EVER had their cell phones upgraded for FREE. EVERY cell phone co. offers this, if you agree to another year or two contract - it's called competing with every other provider out there. (hint: Verzion even publishes this with their "new every 2" upgrade prog) If you want multiple cell phones on a family plan, they'll give you those FREE as well!

The DBS co. have not quite figured this out just yet - they sort of are getting there, but you basically have to complain LOUDLY to get things from them. When they stop raking in all the new subs & start LOOSING current ones, then I suspect things will change in the other direction. BUT, I will say D* is fairly good in general in helping their existing subs get newer equip on the cheap.

Don't feel guilty about wanting newer equipment after all these years & go for it. BTW - make SURE you get at least 1 D-Tivo!!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts