Another Multiswitch Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TomC

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2005
We had DirecTV installed a couple of months ago, with a triple LNB dish,an off-air HDTV antenna and a 4x8 powered multiswitch (located in the basement) all setup by our local installer. They ran 4 lines down from the roof to the basement and hooked all 4 to the "ins" on the switch. The "outs" went to three SD receivers, one DirecTV Tivo and one HD box (RCA). Everything worked OK except the one HD TV couldn't get the local OA HD channels (we have 4). After a couple of trips, they finally got it to work by unhooking one of the 4 "ins" from the multiswitch, and attaching it directly to the cable coming from the HD receiver upstairs. They attached a diplexer at the receiver, and all worked fine.

Now, I've gotten a second HD TV and receiver (HR-10). Do I have to unhook another of the 3 remaining lines coming from the dish, and tie it directly to the line attached to the new HD receiver? If so, how does that work? Why then do you need to attach more than 1 line to the multiswitch "in"? If all the channels are carried on each of the four lines down from the roof, would a 1x8 switch not be just as effective?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but maybe you can help me out. The local DirecTV guys were not that impressive, so I'm hesitant to call them.

Thanks for any guidance.

Tom

I know that Perfect 10 makes a 5x1 diplexer that fits on between the Phase III lnb with its built in switch and the 4x8 switch.

You can add a diplexor to each of the four lines with a splitter to the OTA antenna and do the same thing, but that's a lot of connections.

You can change the 4x8 switch to a 5x8 switch, with an input for an OTA antenna. You still have to use a diplexor at each tv.

The best solution, is to have a speparate OTA system with separate splitters, without diplexors. This is the solution that I have for my own system. Since I install all in wall home theater systems for my customers, this is the option that I usually install for my customers.

TomC said:
We had DirecTV installed a couple of months ago, with a triple LNB dish,an off-air HDTV antenna and a 4x8 powered multiswitch (located in the basement) all setup by our local installer. They ran 4 lines down from the roof to the basement and hooked all 4 to the "ins" on the switch. The "outs" went to three SD receivers, one DirecTV Tivo and one HD box (RCA). Everything worked OK except the one HD TV couldn't get the local OA HD channels (we have 4). After a couple of trips, they finally got it to work by unhooking one of the 4 "ins" from the multiswitch, and attaching it directly to the cable coming from the HD receiver upstairs. They attached a diplexer at the receiver, and all worked fine.

Now, I've gotten a second HD TV and receiver (HR-10). Do I have to unhook another of the 3 remaining lines coming from the dish, and tie it directly to the line attached to the new HD receiver? If so, how does that work? Why then do you need to attach more than 1 line to the multiswitch "in"? If all the channels are carried on each of the four lines down from the roof, would a 1x8 switch not be just as effective?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but maybe you can help me out. The local DirecTV guys were not that impressive, so I'm hesitant to call them.

Thanks for any guidance.

Tom

It sounds like the installer put a diplexer on the end near the dish & OA antenna, that's why the system didn't work correctly with all four lines going into the multiswitch. What you need to do is run a 5th line from the OA antenna to the location of the multiswitch. Then reconnect the line from the dish to the multiswitch and pur the dilpexer inline on the other (downward) side of the multiswitch. To add a second HD receiver and set it up for OA reception as well you will need to split the OA line and add another diplexer. I have drawn a diagram of how the system should be set up. If the diagram doesn't come through let me know, I can email it to you direct or send it through a private messege.

Attachments

• 4x8wiring.JPG
    4x8wiring.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 237
I think you're right, uboatcmdr, about the diplexer on the roof.

If I replace the 4x8 multiswitch with a 5x8, would that take the place of the splitter and the first 2 diplexers? And then just add a diplexer at each HD receiver?

Also, is the splitter you mentioned just a diplexer turned the other way?

TomC said:

If I replace the 4x8 multiswitch with a 5x8, would that take the place of the splitter and the first 2 diplexers? And then just add a diplexer at each HD receiver?

That will work just fine, if you have strong OTA, wince you will be spltting the signal 8 ways.

However, if your signal is weak or marginal, you will eventually need to go the direct cable route.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.

I'll run another cable from the OA antenna to the switch area, and go the way uboatcmdr laid out in his excellent diagram. Thanks for the heads up about the signal loss.

Good to hear from a fellow South Carolinian (I'm in Anderson)!

Tom

TomC said:

Also, is the splitter you mentioned just a diplexer turned the other way?

The splitter is just a standard 1-2 cable splitter that you can get at any RadioShack, Wal-mart, Lowe's or Home Depot. I'd stick with the 4x8 and just use the splitter & the extra two diplexers. The diplexers are less than $10 each whereas a 5x8 is close to $100 (diplexers are much cheaper and you really don't need to send the OA signal to all your receivers anyway).

TomC said:
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.

I'll run another cable from the OA antenna to the switch area, and go the way uboatcmdr laid out in his excellent diagram. Thanks for the heads up about the signal loss.

Good to hear from a fellow South Carolinian (I'm in Anderson)!

Tom

Tom,

I've done quite a few installs in Anderson. You have strong OTA, as do most of the Upstate South Carolina. Since I do all high end in wall installs, I usually just run new cables. The best solution is to avoid diplexors and run direct OTA cables.

Mike

Mike500 said:
Tom,

I've done quite a few installs in Anderson. You have strong OTA, as do most of the Upstate South Carolina. Since I do all high end in wall installs, I usually just run new cables. The best solution is to avoid diplexors and run direct OTA cables.

Mike

I agree, seperate coax runs for the OA antenna would keep the signal strength higher. But if the signal strength is good at present with the existing line & diplexers it should still be pretty good once the splitter and second set of diplexers are installed.

Thanks, guys.

Mike - We just finished off the basement and before the ceiling went in I had all types of cables run, but I didn't think of running separate OTA cable. Live and learn!

We do get pretty good reception OTA - I get all 4 major networks and quite a few PBS channels.

I'll try the splitter route for now and see how that works.

Thanks again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)