Moving from condo to RV

fputnam

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
NE Florida
I'm hoping to get some guidance on how to take Dish with us.

We are planning on traveling for 9 months per year for the next several years. Last year we traveled in the RV for 6 months and took our VIP722 with us. It performed great with the exception that we didn't have access to ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox programming. Most of the time we travel to remote locations so we can't even get local programming from the OTA antenna.

I would like to move the Dish service from the condo and permanently set it up in the RV.

The issues I'm concerned with are:

1. I want to keep the VIP722. I like being able to record 3 separate programs simultaneously. And I like HD.

2. I want to be able to get the major networks while we are camping.

3. I don't want to have 2 separate accounts, one for the condo and one for the RV. Especially since we may be making the move to the RV full time.

4. We currently have Americas Choice 250 and would like to keep that.

Is this even possible? If it is, how do I go about accomplishing this?

Thanks for any advice.

Contact one of the D.I.R.T. gang and they can answer all that for you and get you set up per the rules and regs Dish has set out.

There isn't any universal "get networks anywhere" anymore, as far as I know. A long time ago a few folks could qualify for the 3 major networks from stations on the east and west coast but I think complaints from locals who said sat owners were lying to get "big city TV" killed that program.

And the only way to record three programs at once on a 722 is with the OTA tuner being one of the three.

I'm willing to bet that your best bet in the end will be to do whatever you can to be in places where you can get locals OTA. And if you stop in RV parks with cable service, locals are usually on cable channels 3 thru 13 and the 722 can tune those in.

Only fly in the ointment is that you will only be able to use manual timers as there isn't any way I know of to have the 722 pick the local listing from every which place on a daily basis.

But if you "snow bird" in one spot for a long time you could change your service address and then get locals, including guide data until you move on down the road.

Your plans are making me jealous. Have a great time!

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

If you own just one 722 then there is no way you will ever have to pay for two accounts. For that to happen each account would have to have a receiver and since there is only one, there will ony be one account.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

I'm hoping to get some guidance on how to take Dish with us.

We are planning on traveling for 9 months per year for the next several years. Last year we traveled in the RV for 6 months and took our VIP722 with us. It performed great with the exception that we didn't have access to ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox programming. Most of the time we travel to remote locations so we can't even get local programming from the OTA antenna.

I would like to move the Dish service from the condo and permanently set it up in the RV.

The issues I'm concerned with are:

1. I want to keep the VIP722. I like being able to record 3 separate programs simultaneously. And I like HD.

2. I want to be able to get the major networks while we are camping.

3. I don't want to have 2 separate accounts, one for the condo and one for the RV. Especially since we may be making the move to the RV full time.

4. We currently have Americas Choice 250 and would like to keep that.

Is this even possible? If it is, how do I go about accomplishing this?

Thanks for any advice.

I have sent you a PM!!

Last edited:
I have sent you a PM!!
I guess it's time to give up waiting for fputnam let us in on what Dish did for him. PMs in these instances deprives the rest of us any chance to learn something. I had a lot to say about how I thought it was a long time ago but still have no way to know whether anything or everything I wrote had changed or never was right to begin with.:(

Sorry, I was away from the computer for few days. No answer from MaryB yet. I thought Dish was once again offering distant networks and that's what I want. But, I also believe that's not possible until I give up my condo installation or get a second account (which I don't want to do). Giving up the condo installation would not be a problem.

Still looking for ideas from the experts before I call dish.

Thanks.

P.S. It was not my intention to hide any solutions from you guys. I'll make sure whatever solution we come up with is published here.

P.S. It was not my intention to hide any solutions from you guys. I'll make sure whatever solution we come up with is published here.
No problem. I was really addressing the fact that MaryB told all us forum readers she was going to tell you privately what the deal was. Did she have any info in her PM?

I did the same thing long ago by using PMs to help someone through something or other and got PMed by a moderator reminding me the purpose of a forum was to share knowledge. Ever since I'm sensitive to the issue.

She indicated that what I want to do normally takes a second account. She also suggested that I call dish whenever I land in a new location, give them the local address and get locals that way.

That doesn't sound feasible as when we are traveling we move every couple of days and I'm sure Dish would get real tired of me calling 3 or4 times a week to change my service address.

As for the suggestion that we use the ota antenna to get locals, that works near big cities but we don't camp near big cities. We head for the wild desolate areas where the nearest city with broadcast capabilities is over a hundred miles away.

I feel sure that distant locals is the way we want to go. I just want to do it with a single account, not two.

One more thought. I want to get this officially sanctioned by Dish so I don't get the lecture on how my vip722 isn't allowed to leave the house.

One more thought. I want to get this officially sanctioned by Dish so I don't get the lecture on how my vip722 isn't allowed to leave the house.
that's one thing I can clear up. If it is leased the terms are that is stays at the address it was installed. If you own it, it isn't any of their business and in fact they don't care.

Set up you account for your RV. The issue with Dish is either in the RV or in the House, but not both.

Submit the forms and get Dish DNS, Yes has been back in the DNS business for quite a while.

Changing Locals is only reasonable is you do not make many moves in the 9 months your are on the road. That is typically a recommendation by someone who doesn't live in theor RV.

The biggest issue is the dish you use. If using a tripod, a Dish Pro 1000.2 on a good tripod will give you all the channels you subscribe to. If using a roof mounted dish, you will need a Winegard Trav'ler or a MotoSat dish. None of the dome dishes do a good job on getting all three satellites.

You will still be limited to recording two satellite feeds and one OTA feed, just like in your condo.

Brussam jogged my memory and I checked on line and DNS is handled by a separate company call AAD (All American Direct, I think) after Dish ran afoul of the Feds and had to spin off a separate company. And DNS is only available for a separate RV account. It appears that you can still add a receiver to your house account for RV use with the proper paper work but it won't be eligible for DNS (At least that is my setup and they haven't stopped taking my money. It's possible it's only for us grandfathered RVers, but I don't think so.)

By the way, I ran into a link for a authorized Dish dealer who just does RV systems. Gives a step by step for getting the equipment and DNS account going. I'll be glad to give the link to anybody who PMs me. But I don't want to stick up here because I have no idea who these people are or if they have an agenda to try and keep RVers their customers when there might be other legitimate cheaper or better ways to do Dish RV.

Brussam jogged my memory and I checked on line and DNS is handled by a separate company call AAD (All American Direct, I think)
While there is AAD, Dish has its own DNS, for more than a year now, and it costs $5.00 versus the $15.00 for AAD. And the WA DNS channels are HD unlike AAD which is all SD. Dish DNS

Since your are going to be RVing more than being in the house, the better way to go is an RV account (which is different from a house account only in getting DNS). Then for the three months you are home, turn off the DNS and flip on the Locals.

I'm hoping to get some guidance on how to take Dish with us. We are planning on traveling for 9 months per year for the next several years. Last year we traveled in the RV for 6 months and took our VIP722 with us.........

Cousin Eddie?

shitter_full_cousin_eddie.jpg

While there is AAD, Dish has its own DNS, for more than a year now, and it costs $5.00 versus the $15.00 for AAD. And the WA DNS channels are HD unlike AAD which is all SD. Dish DNS

Since your are going to be RVing more than being in the house, the better way to go is an RV account (which is different from a house account only in getting DNS). Then for the three months you are home, turn off the DNS and flip on the Locals.
Thanks for the info. Was it said whether or not Dish DNS has to be a separate account? The Dish RV dealer I found said it had to be separate and reading through their site I seem to remember they promised HD feeds.

Hey Scott, this might be an idea for another sticky (after the dust settles when Hopper has been selling a while). Could be "Dish and RVs" or "RVing with Dish"

Was it said whether or not Dish DNS has to be a separate account? The Dish RV dealer I found said it had to be separate and reading through their site I seem to remember they promised HD feeds.
Instead of thinking of adding the RV to your S&B house, think of the RV being your residence and once in a while you use a S&B house.

You can have just one account for your RV, which is your residence. With a RV registration, you can have DNS. You are not supposed to move the RV equipment into a S&B house if you have DNS. So you could turn off the DNS while in the house and use Locals instead.

If you want receivers in a S&B house and in the RV and have DNS, then you need a separate count for the RV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts