"Moving" inside a different DMA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmittner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
I was informed in the past that if I told D* that I were to be "moving" inside another cities DMA that I would be able to recieve that local DMA's programming only if I were within the reach of that DMA's spot beam.

So here is my situation. I live (and have D* service) in Erie, Pa but I do not recieve Erie locals via D* (because they are not avalible), nor do I recieve Sports Time Ohio or FSN Ohio even though Dish Net and Time Warner Cable do. My service is about 80 miles away from Cleveland and about 15 miles from the PA/OH line, where across the Ohio line, is a Cleveland DMA and I know the Cleveland spot beam reaches my location, because I was told that by a D* technician.

Now here is my problem. I called D* and told them I would be "moving" to a Conneautte, Ohio address/zipcode (44030), because its the closed ohio zipcode to my area that is within the Cleveland DMA. I also told them I do NOT need to have a technician come out and install the service because it is already hooked at this particular location, but they insisted that a tech absolutly has to come out and check to see if the equipment is OK and fairly new.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS HAVE MY SERVICE ZIPCODE BE A 44XXX, SO I AM ABLE TO GET LOCALS AND MY FAVORITE SPORTS TEAMS RSN'S!!! (Why is this so difficult):mad:

Here are my questions. Is there anyone that could "loan" me a 44XXX zipcode address, and how can I change my address so that D* doesn't have to come out to this fake address?

Thanks to whomever is reading this forum and will provide any help with my issue...

I was informed in the past that if I told D* that I were to be "moving" inside another cities DMA that I would be able to recieve that local DMA's programming only if I were within the reach of that DMA's spot beam.

So here is my situation. I live (and have D* service) in Erie, Pa but I do not recieve Erie locals via D* (because they are not avalible), nor do I recieve Sports Time Ohio or FSN Ohio even though Dish Net and Time Warner Cable do. My service is about 80 miles away from Cleveland and about 15 miles from the PA/OH line, where across the Ohio line, is a Cleveland DMA and I know the Cleveland spot beam reaches my location, because I was told that by a D* technician.
&nb
Now here is my problem. I called D* and told them I would be "moving" to a Conneautte, Ohio address/zipcode (44030), because its the closed ohio zipcode to my area that is within the Cleveland DMA. I also told them I do NOT need to have a technician come out and install the service because it is already hooked at this particular location, but they insisted that a tech absolutly has to come out and check to see if the equipment is OK and fairly new.
&nbsp
ALL I WANT TO DO IS HAVE MY SERVICE ZIPCODE BE A 44XXX, SO I AM ABLE TO GET LOCALS AND MY FAVORITE SPORTS TEAMS RSN'S!!! (Why is this so difficult):mad:

Here are my questions. Is there anyone that could "loan" me a 44XXX zipcode address, and how can I change my address so that D* doesn't have to come out to this fake address?

Thanks to whomever is reading this forum and will provide any help with my issue...
First of all DirecTV has contacts for coverage of locals and local RSNs. They are aware of the move game people play in order to get stations not authorized for their zip code. With DISH getting nailed for their problem allowing people to receive stations they were not allowed to, I am sure they are watching the issue real close.

The coverage of the locals and RSNs are set by the program owners, networks and in the case of RSNs the sporting leagues. DirecTV has to abide by their boundries.

DirecTV used to mail replacement equipment directly to the customer, for them to install, but as of the last year or so, they require it to be installed by their people. I think mostly because they want to make sure the equipment is installed at the install address on the contract. As you may have read they do have a problem with sports bar owners moving receivers from homes to their bars, instead of getting commercial contracts with D*. This way they install the equipment in the location on the contract, between the owner and D*, and if it shows up somewhere else besides that address they have grounds to go after the owner of the bar.

Last edited:
Ive showed up at a few customers homes already and they were waiting for me. With a $50 bill and a pen to sign the paperwork like I did the work. Get the idea???

I think i know what your getting at. Show up to that "moved" address and wait for the technician. When he gets there, tell him about the situation and throw him a $50.00 bill and he will be on his way. But what if he's a jerk and doesn't want to do it? Then what? It sound kind of risky for both of us...

with the "little" pay we get now....i cant think of ANY tech that would refuse to do it. Its freeing up my day, im getting paid for a movers connect, and getting a crisp $50 bill. If your a 4 set movers, in reality I made 105 for the movers connect, plus your 50...and it took me 5 minutes to have you sign paperwork.....in what shouldve taken me about 2 hours. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)