Moving near Memphis but would like to keep Tupelo MS locals

QCK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I am moving to Southaven MS near Memphis soon and will get DN. I see that Tupelo and Memphis locals are on the WA. Will dish allow Tupelo locals be setup, and if so I would use an OTA feed for Memphis locals. Also, if I do this will the Memphis locals in the guide populate with data?

Southaven MS is essentially a suburb of Memphis. I am certain that Memphis is the DMA for Southaven. Dish is required to use the proper DMA when adding local channels. Now, there are ways to change your service address after you get installed. I see that the Columbia-Tupelo spot beam reaches your new area easily. So, the answer to your first question is that you could 'move' your service address to someplace close to Tupelo or wherever you are coming from and get the result you are looking for. The second answer is that the Memphis OTA channels will populate on your new receivers.

Reactions: QCK
That,s what I needed to know. So the only other thing is to make sure the installer uses the WA because I believe the Memphis locals are on both arcs correct?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

That,s what I needed to know. So the only other thing is to make sure the installer uses the WA because I believe the Memphis locals are on both arcs correct?

Just make sure that the installer puts on the western arc. You'll first be setup with Memphis locals. I would go to chat and tell them that I need to change your service address, and leave your billing address alone. Just find a valid address in Tupelo to use for your "service address." That should get you set back up with Columbus-Tupelo locals on satellite and you can have Memphis on OTA.
I live in the Birmingham DMA but "moved" to get Atlanta locals from Dish, and I get my Birmingham locals OTA.

Sounds great, thanks for the help.

Just make sure that the installer puts on the western arc. You'll first be setup with Memphis locals. I would go to chat and tell them that I need to change your service address, and leave your billing address alone. Just find a valid address in Tupelo to use for your "service address." That should get you set back up with Columbus-Tupelo locals on satellite and you can have Memphis on OTA.
I live in the Birmingham DMA but "moved" to get Atlanta locals from Dish, and I get my Birmingham locals OTA.

a important piece of info. i had been a mover. into a white area. so i moved to a address in oil city pa, entire area was white so we got the western local nets.

this worked fine till my receiver died. i clearly told the reps send the replacemnt to my billing address.

the dish idiot csr sent it to my physical moved address, i had selected a public school a customer of mine........

the school called and asked why did we get a box from dish with your name on it principlal wasnt pleased but did report another building had the same thing occur. i gave him a free service call on his machine and i drove 5 hours round trip to pick up the box.

when moving your better off to use a friends or family address in case they ship a replacement to the wrong location.

safest way is move back temporarily till the replacemennt arrives

a important piece of info. i had been a mover. into a white area. so i moved to a address in oil city pa, entire area was white so we got the western local nets.

this worked fine till my receiver died. i clearly told the reps send the replacemnt to my billing address.

the dish idiot csr sent it to my physical moved address, i had selected a public school a customer of mine........

the school called and asked why did we get a box from dish with your name on it principlal wasnt pleased but did report another building had the same thing occur. i gave him a free service call on his machine and i drove 5 hours round trip to pick up the box.

when moving your better off to use a friends or family address in case they ship a replacement to the wrong location.

safest way is move back temporarily till the replacemennt arrives

Good point Bob. I have had to remember to do that in the past, to "move" back home if you gave to have a service call or replacement sent.

Reactions: pattykay
Good point Bob. I have had to remember to do that in the past, to "move" back home if you gave to have a service call or replacement sent.
The best part about doing that, though, is that you can usually use a "Dish Mover" promotion to "move" back to your actual address, and get a free service call without needing the Protection Plan. At least, that is the way it has worked every time I have done that.

I'm not clear on the fees as I am debating on whether or not to add a Joey to the bedroom along with the hopper that will be in the living room. I know there is a DVR fee for the hopper, so then if I add a Joey for $7.00 is there now an additional whole home fee tacked on as well?

The whole home fee is there with or with other receivers. You bottom line cost on an H3 with a Joey will be $22 for the equipment.... You are already paying more than that today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)