MOVING ON

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mike, go to one of those truck stops near where the trailers are and see if a driver wants to dead haul to where you are. Around here, some will haul for 50 cents to $1 a mile. Usually the $1 mile is licensed and loaded. Unlicensed dead haul trip permits cost more in Oregon than Washington. Old 43-49 foot vans are $1100 +/- delivered.

Best of luck in your move, Radar. Hope you come back soon. You sure have contributed a lot of good technical info. on this forum. Thanks and all the best to you.

Larry

Best of luck Gordy!
If you were closer I'd come and help......but some of that stuff might stay attached in my truck ;)

So did you have a month to month lease or something like a death clause that broke the lease?

Actually, I didn't have a lease at all. I initially asked for one, but we never signed anything. So, I guess I could have left at any time w/o notice just the same as being asked to move w/o notice (theoretically). I think that there is some minimum legal limit governing such things, but they are being fair, so I am not arguing. We just worked it out on the honor system. They have given me free use of several acres right on the river for the past 14 years, so I'd say it's been a pretty fair deal. The property of the house was attached to that land, so that is why I call this my "cabin".

RADAR

Good luck Radar, maybe in your new residence you will be able to get a High Speed Internet connection. Let us know when your back.

Sounds Like you are going to need a POD, maybe a few PODS.

Good luck with the move.
Mike Lib

Buying a 20 x 8 x 8 shipping container this week. Used once, in excellent condition. No rust, painted nice with no writing / shipping code information painted on it. $3,500. I have a 30' x 24' concrete pad in the back yard to set it on. Could put in a second one if I need to.

PODs are a bit expensive...with all of the trucking companies around the Omaha-Lincoln area, as well as truck stops, you might want to investigate renting one or more 48-foot shipping vans and parking them somewhere. Much cheaper by the month; in competitive markets perhaps $100 to 125 per month for such a rental. Around Wisconsin we have milk haulers and other companies that have excess (not road worthy for commercial purposes) trailers that can be either rented even cheaper, or sold outright. I'm at the reverse end of your problem...trying to gather the $$ to move two of those trailers 425 miles and unload them here, since we are staying in Wisconsin. Good luck!

I'll have to look into this for the short term use. The pod I bought will come in handy when I am done with using it for storage. I will use it for my lawn mowers and such and put a work bench in it, set up lighting and tools, etc. A monthly rented shipping van may come in very handy for additional space.

RADAR

Wow, sounds like a lot of work. We've been cleaning out and selling my folks old house after they passed away last year. Over 50 years of stuff! The house should be sold officially tonight! The house is 99% cleaned out finally. Moving is no fun and I feel some of what you're going thru...Blind

Gordy,

If you haven't closed the deal on your 20 foot POD, the going rate for used 48 footers is still under $2,000.
My brother got one two years ago for just over $1100 delivered, but in the Twin Cities, scrappers are offering
in the neighborhood of $1600 and up. I would think that with a little research at truck stops or freight forwarders,
you should be able to find a decent 20-foot container for half that price in pretty good shape. Home Depot and others are making a huge profit in rental of PODS, and the markup seems a bit steep. One could always do a cheap paint job and save the difference for other moving expenses.

My problem is that the trailers are owned by the person that I have rented them from, and they are licensed for highway use. I will have to acquire or rent at least one trailer locally for some temporary storage just to deal with the overflow that cannot be immediately stored. Wonder where I put it in the first place!

Mike,

I did get a 40 footer a few years back for $2,300 delivered and set up. That is located at my river lot and it is FULL! Got a four wheeler, golf cart, two riding lawm mowers, two toilets, a concrete mixer, roto tiller, 25-30 2"x6"x12' boards, three RR jacks, ladders, grass seed spreader, tools, table saw, 20 overhead bay lights, fishing poles and set lines, water pumps, tents, screen porch, junk, junk and more junk!

The 20 footers are going for more than the 40 footers are and I assume that is so because of market demand. For my location (my original home lot) the 20 footer fits best. The concrete pad suits it just perfect! Would really like to have the additional space of a 40 or 48 footer, but it doesn't fit the property, at least not for a permanent addition. It would be difficult to get a 40 footer into the lot because of the trees and angles to turn around. Probably could manage it, but I don't think I want one that big in the yard. If I could pour a pad for it, then it would be OK. But that would mean a permit. This way, I don't need a permit.

RADAR

Last edited:
Mike,

I did get a 40 footer a few years back for $2,300 delivered and set up. That is located at my river lot and it is FULL! Got a four wheeler, golf cart, two riding lawm mowers, two toilets, a concrete mixer, roto tiller, 25-30 2"x6"x12' boards, three RR jacks, ladders, grass seed spreader, tools, table saw, 20 overhead bay lights, fishing poles and set lines, water pumps, tents, screen porch, junk, junk and more junk!

The 20 footers are going for more than the 40 footers are and I assume that is so because of market demand. For my location (my original home lot) the 20 footer fits best. The concrete pad suits it just perfect! Would really like to have the additional space of a 40 or 48 footer, but it doesn't fit the property, at least not for a permanent addition. It would be difficult to get a 40 footer into the lot because of the trees and angles to turn around. Probably could manage it, but I don't think I want one that big in the yard. If I could pour a pad for it, then it would be OK. But that would mean a permit. This way, I don't need a permit.

RADAR

So I clicked into this thread and read this post first. LOL Now read it again, only think satellite dishes like I did. LOL

I could use those 2x6's , too bad you're so far away lol. Been enlarging my outdoors workshop/storage building. Sounds like you'll need another seven years to re-locate all that! What's the saying about the ant eating the dead elephant-one bite at a time?

I could use those 2x6's , too bad you're so far away lol. Been enlarging my outdoors workshop/storage building. Sounds like you'll need another seven years to re-locate all that! What's the saying about the ant eating the dead elephant-one bite at a time?

I guess I built an elephant one bite at a time. Now I gotta eat the whole elephant in one bite!

RADAR

I was in a similar situation about 5 years ago when my landlord died. I had like 6 cars, 5 motorcycles and some lawn equipment and I got evicted by his exwife. I didn't have time to sell off the cars so I bought my house with a nice yard and a garage. Needless to say I can now put up as big and many dishes as I please. Hopefully you can get whatever containers you need to get settled.

I picked up a Verizon MiFi 4510L. WOW! What an improvement over my WildBlue satellite internet. Wish this had been available ten years ago. I LOVE it so far.

Making a lot of progress with the move. I have most all of the "small stuff" gone and packed away in my new 20'x8'x9' shipping container, which is now planted on the 24'x30' concrete pad in the backyard of my main home. My sister is helping and we got every little thing packed into boxes. By stacking them tall, I only used up about 7 percent of the storage space.

Gotta fit my bed, couch, love seat, recliner, refrigerator, deep freezer, kitchen table and chairs, entertainment center, home theatre system, two shelving units, two tool boxes and a bunch of miscellaneous junk in there yet as well, but I project that it will all fit with room to spare. There is more space in this storage container than a person thinks, if you pack it in right.

This is a lot of tedious work, but we are making a great deal of progress and it is going fine.

RADAR

You got room? Put a bench in the corner for your new microHD, a pair of Trojan 105RE batteries, a 12 V LED/LCD TV and a couple of dishes, and a 235W solar panel on the roof and you will be ready to go! (Backwoodssolar has a good price on those panels right now, abt. $1.50 / watt)

You got room? Put a bench in the corner for your new microHD, a pair of Trojan 105RE batteries, a 12 V LED/LCD TV and a couple of dishes, and a 235W solar panel on the roof and you will be ready to go! (Backwoodssolar has a good price on those panels right now, abt. $1.50 / watt)

I have a power line routed out to another shed nearby. I think I will just dig that up and route it over to this new facility. I won't worry about direct solar power just yet. I'll take advantage of the "stored" solar power in coal and gas for now. Somewhere down the line, I will invest in some panels and set it up to be off the grid.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)