Moving programs form 625 to 722..?

Zombie069

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Montrose, CO 81401
I recently copied all of my recordings from my 625 to my PC in anticipation of the update for the DVR time increase, and now I'm going HD and moving to a 722. So is my backup now moot, or can I move them back to the 722 to save them? Does the 722 use the same data format to record stuff or am I looking at two different standards here?
I'm not interested in keeping them on my PC so if they cant go back on the 722 they will just go away.

Using some info I found else-where that told me what to record, PM me. It won't get your movies hacked for other uses tho. 15 movies take up alot of space tho on the PC... that's why i need tme off..
My 722 should be here next Friday so I guess I'll find out then.
I may just do the EHD option but I hate to spend money on an external that I'll use once.

Smith, are you sure of that? I haven't yet heard of anybody who tried to copy stuff from 522/625 linux partition to 622/722 linux partition, but imagined that it might be possible with enough technical knowledge of the DishLinux file layouts.

Heck, I wasn't even successful copying from one 522 to another 522. But that was because I just copied the files and never figured out what else (recorded events table?) might need to be modified.

Granted, much technical knowledge would be needed to accomplish this. And, if what you say is true it would be futile anyway.

Well after hours of searching, the ONLY mention I find on the internet of echostar file system is yours. So it's either super-top-secret or just doesn't exist.
Upon trying to copy movies back to my 722, I did find that the "movie" partition is now in RAW format, leading me to believe that without having a dedicated Linux/Unix system I'm not going to be able to write to it.
The partition that holds the callerID and catalog files is mountable in windows, but I haven't found anything for windows to read/write RAW partitions and my eyes are bleeding from googling all day so I'm just dumping them. The good news is that the 722 uses SATA interface. I just may have to toss Linux on my spare and see what I can get.

Echostar File System.
EFS is actually Encrypting File System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver with filesystem-level encryption available in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems. The technology transparently allows files to be encrypted on NTFS file systems to protect confidential data from attackers with physical access to the computer.
Which means they are probably encrypted using the boxes ID or something, not 100% sure. Might even be your account number, since they allow you to move your shows using the External HD between any 622/722 on your account (currently 3 times).

I don't know what you missed above but..

RAW partitions are just that.. RAW.. not NTFS or FAT, but RAW..
This EFS has absolutely nothing to do with anything on dish's HD's..
When you can't access the partition to get to the files, I think it's really not necessary to encrypt them.. Windows does not support RAW partitions, thus built in protection.

EFS is actually Encrypting File System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which means they are probably encrypted using the boxes ID or something, not 100% sure. Might even be your account number, since they allow you to move your shows using the External HD between any 622/722 on your account (currently 3 times).

There's more than one EFS -- this is why I call Wikipedia "The Cheez-Whiz of Knowledge".

Cheers,

I don't know what you missed above but..

RAW partitions are just that.. RAW.. not NTFS or FAT, but RAW..
This EFS has absolutely nothing to do with anything on dish's HD's..
When you can't access the partition to get to the files, I think it's really not necessary to encrypt them.. Windows does not support RAW partitions, thus built in protection.

Yes, but most people don't understand the difference between RAW and cooked storage.

Raw -- you (ie the program) manages the disk.

Cooked -- The OS manages the disk.

That's about as simple as it gets for an explanation.

NO, this is ECHOSTAR FILE SYSTEM, ie Dish proprietary.
Wiki users doesn't have the knowledge. And actually you. What means your post#10 was meaningless :(

Maybe I mixed Mac's HFS+ With *nix's ext3 and the fact that it has been mentioned several times on this forum about E* using Linux filesystems/OS's.:confused:

Also when did post count have anything to do with intelligence.

Ouch, and I thought I was a grouch..
Not so much attempts to correct you, but take it how you like.
As stated, google and several other searches only returned YOUR reference to "echostar file system" when quarried.. Leads me to believe you need corrected.

CPeanutG, they use a form of linux, thus the use of RAW partitions on the 722. 2 partitions are ext2, and 2 are RAW with the "movies" being on the RAW partition.

Let me make little correction: there is no raw partition!

622/722 using a disk divided to 4 partitons:
-- EXT3 data partition
-- EXT3 multimedia partition
-- SWAP partition
-- E*FS partition holding three internal partitions:
---> Misc
---> VOD
---> Recordings.

PS. Before ppl named the EFS as Dave's File System by ID string "DaveSystemDisk" what attribute system sectors and "Long Live Dave!" in each subpartiton's header.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts