Fifth 622 in four years

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dvc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Cameron Park, CA
I've had it with Dish. My 622 was making a very loud buzzing noise. I rebooted, got a picture, it downloaded the program guide all while still buzzing. I powered down for two minutes, rebooted - nothing. No picture, no access to menu.

They offer ZERO support when it comes to having to replace hardware. I just had my receiver replaced no more than 6 weeks ago. I'm not doing anything unusual, no power surges, no outages. Everything else I have works fine - somehow the 622 just doesn't want to keep going. All they do is their job - answer your questions and send new boxes out. This time they want to send a tech out as "its unusual that you're going through so many boxes". YEAH - you think?

The rep said it would be $49 to have a tech come - I said to send one out as long as Dish pays for it. So I'm without service for 2 1/2 days. Who knows what the tech has in store - probably wont even have a replacement 622 with him/her.

Maybe it's time to switch. I've been nothing but loyal. I've lost so many PPV movies and other events due to faulty equipment. All the trips I have to make to ship the stupid thing back, unhooking, rehooking wires, resetting clock on TV, they put no emphasis on the user experience.

Hmmm - not sure I agree. Where are you suggesting there is a short? I could only guess it would be from the power chord or the coax. I can't see any audio/video cables causing a short in the DVR.

from satellite dish to your receiver sine box is using power. so if there is short it start to buzz. disconnect SAT cable behind receiver see if it stops

The buzz stopped - after about 30 minutes of just sitting idle - I got a message saying the hard drive has problems and prevents receiver from functioning properly - you will need to erase hard drive - we apologize for the inconvenience.

I have a picture, and there is an event recording so i'll see how this goes.

Have you seen this happen with a simple coax malfunction causing hard drive errors?

not really. but 5 receivers i would re install whole thing and check electoral outlet.

How many votes does it represent?;):):D

Really though, mine has been flawless for over 2 years, I have it on a UPS, and as I watch the voltage input it jumps from 117 to 123 constantly. Are you conditioning the power?

How many votes does it represent?;):):D

Really though, mine has been flawless for over 2 years, I have it on a UPS, and as I watch the voltage input it jumps from 117 to 123 constantly. Are you conditioning the power?

Just a power strip - I need a UPS as I have a few other valuable sources that I need to look out for.

Not that it matters, but has the 622 even been out for 4 years?

Ugh...exactly, not that it matters. Let's just say i've been a customer since 2004 - so my apologies - almost four yrs. Even worse - five in 3.5 yrs is horrible.

But hey, I'll give Dish the benefit of the doubt and check my wiring, my plugs, outlets, and get a UPS.

I have been really satisfied with the 622's performance. My issue might be an anomoly - I guess only time will tell after I check out everything. I can 100% honestly say that when it started buzzing, there was absolutely no sign of any power surge. It's a clear day, everything was turned off except the DVR, I walked by the DVR and heard a very loud buzz.

I guess people can be quick to blame Dish - and for that, my bad. I was just mad for having to deal with yet, another return. Power off everything, unplug it, package it, drive to UPS, ship it, waste gas, time, energy, patience. I'll be sure to check all my connections - the good thing is it's working like normal now - arrrg.

Hmmm. I tend to think it's something about your site. I doubt that it's a surge problem. More likely a sag, which is quite damaging to equipment. It could well be that the circuit you are using is overloaded and the voltage drops. If I plug an electric heater into the same circuit as my AV system, the voltage drops enough that my system shifts to battery power.

A UPS may well help. Perhaps, if you're willing to spring for the bucks, a full UPS with line conditioning, intended for AV applications, would be better- such as this one from APC- or even this one.

Id check your outlets, some homes have eletric outlet problems. Every dvr i install we use lil outlit checkers..lol

NavyChop
Hmmm. I tend to think it's something about your site. I doubt that it's a surge problem. More likely a sag, which is quite damaging to equipment. It could well be that the circuit you are using is overloaded and the voltage drops. If I plug an electric heater into the same circuit as my AV system, the voltage drops enough that my system shifts to battery power.

A UPS may well help. Perhaps, if you're willing to spring for the bucks, a full UPS with line conditioning, intended for AV applications, would be better- such as this one from APC- or even this one.

If you have a craigslist in your area, I'd check for a UPS on craigslist. A decent one will show up from time to time that just needs batteries. You can get a pretty decent ups for under $125 including the new batteries you have to buy.

I picked up a APC smartups 1000 that handles the stereo receiver, dish receiver, dlp tv, and game systems without shrugging a shoulder.

A good surge supressor is Panamax, get it for $100 and your good to go for ever.

If a receiver is buzzing then there is an issue with current feeding into the coax and into the receiver, this is almost always an issue with an improper ground bond though it can happen if the coax casing has been rubbed off on something that has current going through it.

You can have power spikes both up and down and not even know it unless you have a meter hooked up to your inhouse grid and are watching it. Repeat receiver failure is an indication that there is something wrong within your house and usually within the structure of the dish system though it's also very much possible that there is a problem with the wiring or another appliance on the same circuit as the receiver thats back feeding into the wiring. DVR's such as the 622 and all of its other brothers and sisters is sensitive to power problems so its always best to have not only the power cord plugged into a surge supressor but one that has coax ports that are power passing and phone/ethernet jacks as well.

The buzz may be a symptom of a ground loop. Your 622 us grounded in one place and the dish is grounded in another, causing an electrical potential in the system. Ground loops can also cause component failures in your system.

Make sure the Dish and the receiver are grounded to the same ground point.

I picked up the Tripplite from Costco, it was $99. I use it on my 622 with 50"LCD and Yamaha 861 and I have one on my 722 with 40" LCD. Have to protect the valuables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)