Moving question: multiple dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slump Buster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
The mover's connection can't seem to answer this question for me. I have 5 receivers (including HD and a dual input tivo). I'm moving this weekend and the installer is coming out. Will he install 2 dishes? A switch?

Also, how flexable are they in terms of where they run the wires? The current owners of the house have an old dish with a single wire running into the basement. From there, all of the wires in the house meet so *ideally* I'd like all the wires from the dish run to that box. I had a bad experience with this once... I left the installer alone for a minute after instructing him where to run the wires into the house and he decided to run them right along the back of my house and drill a huge hole into my family room wall.

Get a multiswitch

If you get a 5X8 multi switch you can get up to 8 lines from your dish. Buy it yourself from www.consumerdepot.com DYNEX DX-MS101 5X8 DSS Satellite Multi-Switch Factory. It is $9.95 so about $20 with shipping. The installer will want to charge your $70 for the one in his truck. The 4 lines from the dish go into the multi switch and then you get 8 lines out on the other end, the 5 input is for an OTA

Trevor

Slump Buster said:
Will he install 2 dishes? A switch?

Since you (like almost every other person that asks these questions) doesn't tell us WHERE you live (like a city), we don't know what market you're in & hence, can't tell you what dish your area requires... ;) :confused:

(some areas require a 2nd dish f/locals & a special switch, you know... )

a "standard" install (the free kind) means the installer CAN run them where they want, and will usually want to do so as quickly and lazily as possible..

typically, this means doing exaclty what you described...running sat cables directly to a pre-existing distribution point.

a good installer will argue with you and tell you what works best, but will probably ultimately do what you want....but there MIGHT be an extra fee if it's "custom" work.

but beware! if your existing cable sucks, they might HAVE to run it around the outside or else custom-charge to fish it up through walls.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)