Moving Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rustolemite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
Pineville, LA
Im in an area right now that supplies me with my local channels in HD but I may be moving to an area that does not have local channels so can they take away those channels when I move my service? I wont need them to install anything but really just need to change my address.

Thanks

Rustolemite

Im in an area right now that supplies me with my local channels in HD but I may be moving to an area that does not have local channels so can they take away those channels when I move my service? I wont need them to install anything but really just need to change my address.

Thanks

Rustolemite
If you arent moving that far, chances are you would still be in the spotbeam footprint. You COULD leave the address as is (if you dont get a bill sent by mail), and nothing would change.

Thanks

Rustolemite
As mentioned ,if your out of the spotbeam,you will lose them! Service address and billing address can be different,so you can still change your billing address,and get your bill by mail still.

As mentioned ,if your out of the spotbeam,you will lose them! Service address and billing address can be different,so you can still change your billing address,and get your bill by mail still.

How can they take them from after you are already paying for them... a friend of mine who lives in the area where I might be moving called and setup service and the rep told him that he could get locals, when I knew he couldn't, so the installers came to install 5 hd recv. in his house and he askde them about his locals, they told him he wouldn't get them so he called dtv and finally got a supervisor that authorized him to have them.

How can they take them from after you are already paying for them... a friend of mine who lives in the area where I might be moving called and setup service and the rep told him that he could get locals, when I knew he couldn't, so the installers came to install 5 hd recv. in his house and he askde them about his locals, they told him he wouldn't get them so he called dtv and finally got a supervisor that authorized him to have them.
What are you talking about? You asked about keeping your locals,Well if you move out of the spotbeam,It can't receive a signal. If I Moved out of the Scranton Wilkes Barre DMA and Moved to OHIO,I wouldn't be able to keep My current locals because,I'm out of the Scranton Spotbeam. I 'd have to get what ever locals that were in my new area. Got nothing to do what you pay for.

What are you talking about? You asked about keeping your locals,Well if you move out of the spotbeam,It can't receive a signal. If I Moved out of the Scranton Wilkes Barre DMA and Moved to OHIO,I wouldn't be able to keep My current locals because,I'm out of the Scranton Spotbeam. I 'd have to get what ever locals that were in my new area. Got nothing to do what you pay for.

I know for a fact that friend of mine give one zip so that they can get locals and live in another zip code where they can't and they just have auto bill pay and do all install himself

I know for a fact that friend of mine give one zip so that they can get locals and live in another zip code where they can't and they just have auto bill pay and do all install himself
I didn't say you couldn't do that .And you can't just give Directv a Zip code,It has to be a Full Address. and again if your outside the spotbeam of the local channels you want to keep ,IT WON"T WORK!

Why don't you tell me how far your moving first off. If you live in Boston Mass. Right now and moving to Miami Florida,and your trying to keep your Boston Locals,that an't going to happen.

You need to re-read what Hemi posted. If you are outside of the physical spotbeam coverage area, it is impossible for you to receive your locals unless you get into something like Slingbox.

Changing your physical address will work if you want to keep your locals and are within the spotbeam coverage area but you need to remember that this is a violation of your Terms of Service with DirecTV and if they find out they can cancel your service and charge you a bunch of money.

if they find out they can cancel your service and charge you a bunch of money.
True, they can IF they find out. While I wont openly condone it, you have to admit alot of people do it, and dont get caught.

But yes be aware, directv can (but probably wont or doesnt care) cut off your service if you do this.

True, they can IF they find out. While I wont openly condone it, you have to admit alot of people do it, and dont get caught.

But yes be aware, directv can (but probably wont or doesnt care) cut off your service if you do this.

I don't condone it either, but I really don't care. I just want people to understand that there can be consequences for their actions so that if it does happen, they don't come running back here crying that D* cut off their service.

I don't condone it either, but I really don't care. I just want people to understand that there can be consequences for their actions so that if it does happen, they don't come running back here crying that D* cut off their service.
I understand, I would rather they know that too. Read your papers people, if it doesnt work, you are not wronged by D*. It is how it is, and alot of people do it, doesnt mean you cant get in trouble. Also doesnt mean you will:p

I would be moving 200 miles away in the same state ... and Im not trying to "cheat" Directv .. I just want to find out if theres a way I can keep my HD networks, don't care about the other local channels, just want to keep those... as for the move Directv would not have to do any install all they would have to do is change the address ... do you think they would actually check to see if the new address would qualify or would they just change it ??

Thanks

I would be moving 200 miles away in the same state ... and Im not trying to "cheat" Directv .. I just want to find out if theres a way I can keep my HD networks, don't care about the other local channels, just want to keep those... as for the move Directv would not have to do any install all they would have to do is change the address ... do you think they would actually check to see if the new address would qualify or would they just change it ??

Thanks
What locals are you trying to keep and what DMA are you moving into. 200 miles is A LOT!

Thanks
In that case, the best advice I can give you is to call and ask them when you get moved.

Here's a link, Type in the Zip to where your moving to and you can see,the locals in that area.
DIRECTV - Local Channels

Well from what I saw, Directv doesn't have locals available at all in your New location. You would have to get Distant Networks,or make your service address different then your billing address and Try to get locals from some other DMA thats Close to you.

Here's a link, Type in the Zip to where your moving to and you can see,the locals in that area.
DIRECTV - Local Channels

Well from what I saw, Directv doesn't have locals available at all in your New location. You would have to get Distant Networks,or make your service address different then your billing address and Try to get locals from some other DMA thats Close to you.

Or go for the Distants and keep them as long as possible.

Unless the locals you want to keep are on a conus beam, you will most likely be out of luck. I don't actually think many locals are on a conus beam anymore anyway. Maybe LA, NY, and Chicago?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts