Moving receiver to detached garage temporarily

AshK04

Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
Tx
Hey guys, need help on understanding something. We have dish service on our new house but also have a detached garage that we lived in while building & it still has the still installed (moved service from garage to house last year). We only have one receiver( HD dvr?)& 2 joeys currently but I also own another receiver that's not hooked up on my account. The dish installer wouldn't let us put that receiver in our garage since he said it required two accounts. What are the technical issues if I activate it in the house & just move to garage(& hook up to the old satellite) when needed(football parties). Am I gonna get get flagged for having 2 receivers running on different dishes even though they're <30' apart?

30 feet? Shouldn't be too hard to run a RG-6 cable there from the Node/Hub and just carry one of your Joeys over there when needed. Doing this will save you $7 monthly compared to activating another receiver.

As dare2be pointed out, unless that other receiver is a 211K you won't be able to add it to the account even though connecting it would be no issue.

A third option could be to add a Wireless Joey if you want to go the Joey route, but don't want to run the add'l RG-6. Seems like that should work fine at that distance!

You would have to buy the Wireless Joey Access Point ($25 I think) that plugs into the Hopper, and then the WJ would be $7/mo.

Reactions: AshK04
We don't have a telephone line & never have(rural land we've developed ourselves) so neither would be hooked up. We have one Hopper already activated & the 2nd one we're looking to activate is also a Hopper (same model). It's the fact that it would be moved back & forth between satellites that I'm concerned with honestly. We've used one of our joeys temporarily before but it's not feasible to run a cable permanently for it plus we need the 2nd Hopper long term anyways.

You would have to buy the Wireless Joey Access Point ($25 I think) that plugs into the Hopper, and then the WJ would be $7/mo.
Or replace one of your regular Joeys with a wireless Joey that you could move between the house and the garage, and not have to pay the additional $7.

Reactions: DWS44
Also, tons of metal(roof, studs & metal garage) so I'm afraid with that & distance the wireless option would be out unless it works better than every other wireless signal.

OK...you can activate that add'l Hopper as long as neither is a Hopper3 (Dish generally won't let you activate more than one H3 on an acct, nor will they allow you to mix H3 with earlier Hopper models) Combining all these ideas, now that we know your add'l receiver is another Hopper, why not install the add'l Hopper at one of the current Joey locations, then trade the second Joey for a Wireless Joey that you could take back and forth easily.

OK...you can activate that add'l Hopper as long as neither is a Hopper3 (Dish generally won't let you activate more than one H3 on an acct, nor will they allow you to mix H3 with earlier Hopper models) Combining all these ideas, now that we know your add'l receiver is another Hopper, why not install the add'l Hopper at one of the current Joey locations, then trade the second Joey for a Wireless Joey that you could take back and forth easily.

I have two Hopper 3's on my account.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think we'll try the wireless Joey out & see if the signal is strong enough. At least it would be handy on backyard movie nights. Extremely frustrating that Dish would charge for 2 accounts just because someone has a non-typical house design.

Reactions: DWS44
Extremely frustrating that Dish would charge for 2 accounts just because someone has a non-typical house design.
It isn't about the house design. It's about mixing Hopper technology with older receiver technology. They don't/can't easily share the same backbone.

For instance, if you had a 722 receiver and a 612 receiver for the garage, it would work.

If I understand you correctly, and you have a dish installed at your garage as well as your house, and you have 2 Hoppers...you can have your 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's in your house, and have your 2nd Hopper in your garage. The 2 Hoppers would be on different systems and wouldn't be integrated, or able to "see" one another, but they'd work. It doesn't require 2 accounts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)