Moving receiver to other location to access local programing

coobr03

Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I live in Chicago, but have a weekend place in Wisconsin. At one time I could access Chicago programing, (news and sports teams) up at the weekend place. A couple of years ago Dish changed their rules and said that I could only get Milwaukee local channels at the weekend place.

To get around this I took one of my receivers from home and swapped it with the Wisconsin receiver. Everything worked fine. This week I decided to upgrade my home service to the HD with the extra TV option that does not require a second receiver. This is going to negate my "extra" receiver and kill the weekend place reciever as I will have two "Chicago" TV's.

My thought was to pay the installer to add a switch pushing my "Chicago" TV's to three, the HD, plus "slave" and a spare one. I would then take the exrtra old receiver up north and activate it at the weekend place.

My question is does Dish know that the third is is not on the switch, or will it just pick up the signal as my current setup does?

Last edited:
But you should probably do a search for the "audit department" or the "audit nazis" and make sure that you understand the potential problems.

I live in Chicago, but have a weekend place in Wisconsin.
My question is does Dish know that the third is is not on the switch, or will it just pick up the signal as my current setup does?

This has been debated for quite some time. I thought I'd save you the time for searching threads if you so wish to obtain more info. Here are 2 threads for your reading enjoyment/amusement. :D:D:D

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/103048-possible-legal.html

and

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/105926-living-two-locations-install-tips.html

Interesting threads. I have no problem paying for the second account; I already do. It is just that I want the Chicago programing up north. I guess I am cheating the Milwaukee local stations a bit, but Dish is getting money for both accounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)