Moving Satellite To Another Location In Yard

durangod

Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
East Texas
Hi,

I need to move my Dish Satellite to another location and i dont want to pay to have them come out and do it.

I have included several pics, they show the current location of the dish satellite (next to the truck) and the current location of the Hughesnet Satellite(next to the shed).

I would like to move the Dish Satellite next to the Hughesnet Satellite and i also took a pic from that location to show you that point of view.

I am concerned that it may be too close to the Hughesnet signal and they would collide, or that the RV might block the signal.

Do you see any issues with the new location being next to the Hughesnet Satellite?

SANY0006 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0007 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0008 (Medium).jpeg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Having them side by side won't effect their operation at all.
Just give yourself enough room between them to move around if you need to.
As for obstructions - I can't remember exactly what your pointing at but EA maybe? if that's the case those sats are rather high up in an angle but you can use a few phone apps like dishpointer to see where they are in relation to where you may put the dish to help you tell. Maybe even instead of putting it on a pole to the right of that Hughs dish just put it on the side of that little building with a normal mount and run the cable down the side?
You can wire this yourself, just get some burial cable RG6 and dig your path.. some crimpers if you got them if not you can get by with a pair of needle noise pliers to close the connectors which you can find on ebay.
You may be able to find a local installer company and ask them to pull you off a roll of 20-30 feet of cable for a few bucks.

Thanks everyone :) I was here last year when he installed the Dish service so i know where the line runs exactly in the ground. The pic that shows the gravel path you can see a red brick on either side of that path by the current dish install. I did that to cover up the line as the push-in decorative landscaping border would have cut the line. The line runs from the current dish install under those two bricks, then straight over to the hose area and up to the RV.

If you look over at my ladder by the shed you can see the top my new post leaning beside it (its left over from when i did my flagpole out front). So my plan is to set the new post and wait for it to set good for a day or so as the local lumber yard just had 40 lb sakrete that takes a day to set. Then measure the height of the current install and somehow mark the current direction its pointing (just a reference point). Then as you can see the installer just cut off the old post and slid his post inside it and screwed it to the old post.

So i will do the same, just pull up the line out of the ground, i think i will have about 8 ft of line when its up. Then unscrew his pipe from the old pipe, which should slide right out. Then that bigger post should slide right over my new pipe and ill bolt it back on without having to undo any connections at all. Then use the dish signal checker on the tv until i can get over 50 strength, then i should be good i think because its at 53 now.

Does that sound like a good plan?

I am wondering if i should put a bolt crossways at the end of the pipe to help hold it inside the concrete?

PS i just built that little shed and it only has 3 anchors so i dont want to put the dish on that.. Lesson learned on that one, $500 in that shed and i could have bought a larger one for half that amount. Needless to say i wont be building any more sheds myself lol...... but it was fun and i learned alot in the process. :)

Great clear illustrative pics. I don't think there would be any problem including site to the satellites.

That's a shed? I thought it was an outhouse. :biggrin

LOL most people thought it was a green house for a long time because i had it covered in plastic. I had to save up for the roof and siding as that stuff is very expensive and i had to finish my porch first. So basically i started the shed last oct and it sat there framed up till last month when i finally finished it. Living on a fixed income bites some months.

But it turned out pretty good here are some progress pics. It sits on one old pallet and that sits on bricks, I made the deck from pallets as well. I made it so small 2ft x 4ft because it was easier for me to handle the project physically since i am disabled. Plus i just needed a place to get the stuff out from under the RV as it looked horrible, now its all clean under there. If you look close you can see several of my mistakes, the door kept hanging up on the siding so i trimmed the siding and i trimmed it too much so the back side of the door has a small gap. So i took a strip of my green carpet and put the rubber side out and it works great to seal the door edge as it flexes.

I am leasing a lot here at the lake in East Texas and i LOVE it here. I come from dry air country (NM) but im learning to deal with the humidy. The nice days we do have and the green environment make the miserable days worth it for me. Anyway not to change the subject but just FYI here are some pics of the progress. Good thing gravel and concrete blocks are cheap, as it makes it look nice.

So now i have a place for all my scraps of wood, my RV hitch, Shovels and stuff, Paint, Screws and Nails, Blower, and Mower. Thats all i need for now :)

PS behind that tarp is my left over plywood to keep it dry.

0219181721a (1) (Medium).jpg
0314181933 (Small).jpg
0314181933a (Small).jpg
SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0002 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0003 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0004 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0005 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0006 (1) (Medium).jpeg

1205171733 (1) (Medium).jpg

SANY0009 (Medium).jpeg
SANY0010 (Medium).jpeg

It might even make a little more aesthetically acceptable installation if you set the new pole so the dish would be just in front of and a little below the Hughes dish.

Good idea, as long as it does not block my walk path that will look nicer i agree. :)

Its all coming together nicely.

Reactions: Tampa8
The post would only need to be a foot or so in front of the Hughes post. And just low enough that the dish clears the Hughes arm.
If he digs a 3' hole, as per Dish standards, it won't come close to the Hughesnet Feed Arm. I'm curious how he plans to point this in accurately

Reactions: NYDutch
If he digs a 3' hole, as per Dish standards, it won't come close to the Hughesnet Feed Arm. I'm curious how he plans to point this in accurately

If the tech had not come out i would have just used the TV signal control to try to align it myself. :)

I dug the hole 1ft deep and as big around as my shovel (normal shovel), I am in Zone 8 so the frost line is only 4-5 inches here so that is plenty deep. There was a bad place on the top of the pole where i hammered it into the ground so i cut that off with a hack saw and the pole wobbled like crazy but never moved, still perfectly level both directions.

Then i poured in half the concrete (40lb back sakrete) and mixed it around with 1qt of water, then put in the other half of the bag and mixed that around with another quart of water. Then i stuck the new pole in the concrete and used a sledge to put it in the ground just a bit to hold it still, then leveled it and waited two days.

I called dish and since i dug the trench and had the new post in place they only charged me 10 bucks to have the tech come out and move it for me and align it again. I thought this was a better deal than having to dig up my grass to salvage the cable and move it myself.

The tech came out this morning and he did have issue with the size of the new pole, it was small. But as i explained to him, the old post could easily be removed with some screws and slide right over my new post, so that is what we did, easy peasy.... :)

After he left i noticed that my signal strength using the settings menu on the TV had gone from 53 to 31 so i called the tech and asked him about that. He said that one eye was about 42 and the other eye on the sat was 53 when he tested it outside on his gizmo. He said what i see on the TV is an average of those two so i am just fine.

I dont know if he is correct or not but i really dont have a choice do i lol....

Here is a pic of the final placement, he was surprised he got a signal at all as he said that he thought the RV would be in the way or that the Hughesnet dish would interfier with the signal.

SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg

Reactions: Tampa8
He was incorrect. What you see on the TV is the signal strength for the specific orbital and transponder. No averages... actually a pretty moronic answer.

Well he did seem kind of new to the job, and he did say he didnt really like his job too much, he said they really push the techs too hard. But anyway i guess i dont understand why in the old position i had 53 strength and 12ft away i have 31. I know under the system setup menu it gives the peak angles, maybe i should try adjusting it myself?

Would you try adusting it yourself if it was your dish? I dont have any special equipment just what the signal strength shows on the TV.

All you need is a wrench. No special tools. Use the point dish screen to get your signal strength, and use Dishpointer.com to get the optimal angles.

I also noticed that instead of using all one line he just cut the line and used two extenders and they are in the dirt, lazy job of it. I called dish and told them to send out a seasoned tech to do it correctly. I will uncover the old wire for them its still loose soil so will be easy to clean out the little ditch again. They will be here tomorrow.

Thanks so much :)

Totally inappropriate for him to make such a comment. He reflects poorly on his company. Even if you hate your job, you don’t tell the customer that.

To be fair i did ask him how he liked his job, but you are right he probably should not have said that.

Yeah i hope i didnt get too close to the hughesnet dish too.. grrrrrr ill find out tomorrow. I hope they send the tech they sent the very first time i got service. He was professional, went above and beyond to make sure everything was done correctly and looked professional and was great to talk to. But if they do he might yell at me for putting the pole too close lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)