Moving servers incl email host

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Company folded. Two servers onsite, both Dell PowerEdge T410s: one SBS for DHCP & email, one R2 for applications. Moved them from ISP X (bonded pair) to ISP Y (Fios), at my home. Home setup is standard Actiontec 424 Fios box set up for DHCP for home peer to peer network. Added DHCP/email server directly to home network and have had little in the way of probs, except of course no work email or access to second server (yet). Second server not yet on home network. Workstation PC from work (domain network) connected to home network directly, not thru router used at work. Few problems, actually. But old email system not working after 2 days (never worked after move). Do I have to manually publish new address to get the world to see the old email addresses? How do I do that? I thought it would propagate automatically after a couple of days.

SBS Console/home/setup internet address?

1) You need to update your MX records in DNS for the domain in question
2) If you have FiOS "Home", it wont work. They block port 25 (incoming mail).

Thank you. I am outdated. My network experience was Novell, and to a lesser extent, Vines. Remember Banyan? I am very limited in my MS server knowledge. <sigh> I pursued a different route.

Anyway, "MX records" means little to me. Is there a short explanation? As the bank has seized the checking account and all credit cards, there is no way for me to pay our outside provider to make any changes. Perhaps I could call Verizon and ask about this, and ask the bank to fund it for a couple of months?

Again, thank you for any assistance.

No more compensation. But I was Comptroller and the only knowledgeable one left, so to speak. Plus, I've been close friends with my boss for 40 years and he's dying.

Do you need everything to work to still email in an out or do you just need the servers for archival purposes?

Yeah agree most time the MX records are not correct so like StevenD said that's the first thing I would check. As far as port blocking you should be able to get with Verizon on that to get that taken care of if it becomes a issue.

Yeah agree most time the MX records are not correct so like StevenD said that's the first thing I would check. As far as port blocking you should be able to get with Verizon on that to get that taken care of if it becomes a issue.

Unfortunately, Verizon will NOT unblock ports 25 or 80 on a "Home" or "Dynamic IP" account. You must have a "Business" account with static IP addresses.

If its just a couple of email accounts, I would move your email to Outlook.com. Thats also assuming you have control of your domain's DNS settings.

Do you need everything to work to still email in an out or do you just need the servers for archival purposes?

The network appears to be working. I just have some value in keeping one email acct continuing. Without that address some things will become difficult then impossible.

For records, yes. Will likely have to run the accounting sw again also.

If its just a couple of email accounts, I would move your email to Outlook.com. Thats also assuming you have control of your domain's DNS settings.

Yeah that's a good idea as well.. Also Office 365 running Exchange plus moving mailbox's to it is something that I might be looking at in the near future and see more companies have already started using it and moving to-wards it as well. Examples Toyota North America, European retailer Tesco, City of Chicago, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs are just a few.

Last edited:

I hope you're not speaking generically. If most of the time MX records were incorrect very little email would get delivered. Then again, that could be a great anti-abuse strategy. Can't get spam if the mail doesn't show up at the front door :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)