Moving shows to EHD - issue

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
So I finally hooked up my EHD yesterday and stated moving some shows over. Before I started, I had about 6 hours of HD recording time left. I moved over 5 HD movies, but now I only have 9 hours of HD recording time left.

Is it supposed to be this way? Shouldn't I have way more time left?

HD content from Dish can vary in bitrate by up to 4:1, meaning the hard disk space consumed by an hour of HD could be anywhere from two to eight GB. The recording time left assumes a bitrate close to the maximum, so when you delete N hours of HD programming you could gain anywhere from N/4 to N hours of recording time.

IOW, mpeg4 (now almost everything) takes up less space than mpeg2 or OTA. So if you move mpeg4, you will notice less difference.

If you're hooked up to OTA, try moving an hour-long 1080i OTA show over to the hard drive, and compare the size of that file to an MPEG4 movie. That should give you an idea of the size range. Not all MPEG4 movies are created equal, however, as you will see.

Brad

If you're hooked up to OTA, try moving an hour-long 1080i OTA show over to the hard drive, and compare the size of that file to an MPEG4 movie. That should give you an idea of the size range. Not all MPEG4 movies are created equal, however, as you will see.

Brad

Can't receive OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)