Comcast is coming!

tsummerall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Hi folks:

This is not meant to start any kind of flame war please.

I've been a Dish DVR (501) subscriber (no cable available) for 7 years and have generally had a good experience.

I am on the verge of jumping to HD - looking into new tv, new amp, new dvr, etc.

I have found out Comcast is finally cabling my area this summer. I will definitely be signing up for their fastest broadband internet service.

So, the $99/month question is of course should I get my video content from them or stay with Dish?

I don't care much about the price differences. I do care very much about picture quality, channel availability, and DVR features/reliability.

If I stay with Dish I am planning on moving to a 722 or waiting for the 922.

Thanks for any constructive input!

i would stay with dish. i currently have comcast for internet service only. my experience with their HD isn't very good. stay with dish and their superior hardware. comcast dvr's aren't that good either. yes the 922 will also be available to cable customers but the signal coming in is still the same.

Stay with Dish. Comcast makes the bundle offer sound good, but as stated before, the HD service is sub par. Wait out for the 922..................or maybe rey_1178 can help you with that one.;):rolleyes::D

Comcast HD is not good, and once that promotional plan runs out, you will be paying $180+ (including $20-$25 in taxes you are not paying now) for the same service of which you can't drop because you are under contract.

I don't care much about the price differences. I do care very much about picture quality, channel availability, and DVR features/reliability.

A normal QAM (digital cable) channel has a bandwidth of about 38.8 mbps. Ideally (and for best PQ) you need to dedicate 19.4mbps of bandwidth to an HD channel. That would be a 2:1 compression scheme. Most comcast systems use a 3:1 HD mux compression scheme (with 2 1080i and 1 720p channels on one digital cable channel). This normally leads to VERY poor PQ

I would wait for fios
If cable is just now getting around to wiring the area, I hate to imagine how long it will take Fios to come around. :rolleyes:

Don't let Comcast sucker you into getting limited basic in order to save between the w/ cableTV and w/o cableTV internet prices. Because once you get any cableTV you'll be subject to taxes and franchise fees, which internet service is exempt from. They will more than wipe out any savings from the price descrepancy.

Comcast HD is not good, and once that promotional plan runs out, you will be paying $180+ (including $20-$25 in taxes you are not paying now) for the same service of which you can't drop because you are under contract.
I never had a contract when I was with Comcast...

If cable is just now getting around to wiring the area, I hate to imagine how long it will take Fios to come around.

Actually I heard FiOS is scheduled to arrive here on the 12th of NEVER EVER EVER EVER NFW. But I don't want to wait that long.

Yeah it looks like the votes are trending overwhelmingly to the side of staying with Dish.

But maybe I should take it to the Minnesota Supreme Court anyway?

:eureka

I must be the only one who thinks Comcast HD was of equal or better quality. Don't give me bit rates or any other mumbo jumbo, it just looked better. Some things to consider:

IMO Comcast DVR sucks compared to the 722, I've had both. The 722 is solid, no freezing, much more intuitive controls.

Consider how many TV's you are connecting. Once I had more than one HDTV, Comcast starting getting pricey with multiple HD boxes. With 3 hd boxes (one DVR) and digital classic, nothing extra, I was paying like $120 a month! With TuboHD Gold and 3 HD boxes (722 and two 211) I believe my bill is like $75. Thats a big price difference, unless you truly don't care.

I never had a contract with Comcast (no internet for me thru Comcast), call and cancel anytime.

Comcast has On Demand. I do miss that.

I always found Comcast customer service better. Better customer support and service.

Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)