Moving SWM 8 Switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
In the house I have a SWM 16 switch with the two 8 way SWM splitters. I'm wanting to move a few receivers out to my barn which is about 80' away. Would it be too far of a run if I moved one of the 8 way splitters out to the barn? The maximum cable length will be 100'.

That's probably not a problem, depending upon how far the swm16 is from the dish.

You would have to get one of the techs to answer that question, but I don't think the swm16 amplifies anything.

I'd say a little over 100'. Wouldn't the SWM 16 act as an amplifier since it has the power inserter?

I think you would be okay, but I'll leave it up to one of the techs to give you a more definitive answer.

Okay thanks! One thing I forgot to mention is the cable that will be ran to the barn will be ran through the same underground pipe as the power line, hope interference won't be something to worry about.

I think that might cause interference, but again I will defer to the install techs.

Also if you don't need an 8-way splitter in the barn use a smaller one....

What about the distances and running the cable along side electrical wire texasbrit?

you never want to run communications cable in the same conduit as power, ever hear of inductance? at the very least it will put noise on the line, in the worst case it can actually put enough voltage on it to hurt the equipment. Run a new conduit and get it at least a foot away from the power conduit is possible.

What about the distances and running the cable along side electrical wire texasbrit?
The electrical code won't allow you to run the two cables in the same conduit. As david_gilbert says, the AC voltage fluctuations can induce noise in the sat line.

100ft from the SWM16 to the receiver (total run, not just to the splitter) with RG6 will be fine. As I said, just try and use the smallest possible splitter. That's just good practice.

You have to support it properly. You can get cable with the support wire attached.

the swm16 is not an amplifier per say.... but it does equal out two swm legs. Depending on how many lines you have active is the key to this question. You said you have 2 8ways.... thats kind of odd. Unless you have 16 total irds. an 8way is going to be roughly 14db loss and 100' of coax to the barn is going to be another 10db loss. then depending on how far the run in from the 8way to the receiver. a basic rule of thumb is 1db per 10ft. without an aim meter its not going to be possible to measure these readings, but I would not relocate an entire splitter to the barn if not need be. how many tvs are going out there? I would probably just run one line to the barn from one of your splitters, also reducing the size of the splitters to only accommodate the number of lines you actually need.

Yes, I posted that the OP should use the smallest possible splitter in the barn. If you calculate a loss model, then an 8-way will probably still give enough signal but why take the risk.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Genies Have New NR - 0x0987

Raleigh NC stations showing up on Outer Banks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts