"Moving" technique question??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bartman99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Virginia
Before I start, I want everyone to know I understand and fully appreciate the legal/ethical concepts involved here.

I am in a DMA (22903)with NO LOCALS available. I cannot get the DNS service in HD. I would like to "move" to the Washington D.C area so that I can receive the D.C. local networks in HD.

Two questions:

1. How do I actually "move"? What I mean is, what kind of address do people use? Do you just pick an address and hope no one lives there? Do you pick a business (ie gas station, supermarket, fast food joint) and use that address, or do you use a fake address (like adding an "a" to an existing address..."127a Main St")? What have others done?
  2. Will the coverage reach me if I use D.C. locals? We are about 90-100miles "as the crow flies" from D.C.
As I end, I want to reiterate to everyone that I understand and fully appreciate the legal/ethical concepts involved here.

Thanks,

BM

The search tool is your friend here, since this has only been discussed to death here umpteen times... ;) ;)
As far as your distance from DC, you should be able to get the spot beams OK where you're at.

OK, I just did a search. Terms used: moving and address. Almost 500 hits (15 pages). Looked though the 1st 100 hits. I found people that used relative's address (one MIL, one parents) and used their vacation cabin. I couldn't find any hints on finding/using an address if you don't have one of these options.

Any hints on appropriate search strategy or what "moving" address I could use?

You need to have an actual address. What I would do, is find a mobile home park (just use google for this) in the town you are "moving" to and use that. Or use a friends if you know someone there.

When you get your address picked out, simply call Directv up and tell them that you moved, already have the service installed and want to update your SERVICE address. Leave your BILLING address as it is now. They will say ok, and you are done.

Pretty simple

As to whether you are in the DC spotbeam, I am not sure. I am well within the Birmingham, AL spotbeam at over 140 miles away. They do vary though.

as noted the address has to be semi legit

I took my buddy's address of 820 ____________ and made it 822 _____________ when I called D*

Also you dont have to give a DC address...it just has to be in the market. Dish and Direct have close maps for this (sometimes a county moves DMA's and it doesnt update) but as long as its in a county in the DC market you're fine

virginia.gif

Not that I have any personal knowledge of this :D, but you could go to zillow.com, find the area you want to "move" to and scan the map for streets and addresses and then come up with a house number that does not exist on that street.

Double check that address in mapquest and/or the post office site to make sure it comes back as a valid address (not, "address not found"). If that checks out, you are good to go.

Also, you may have more luck sending an email requesting a service address change rather than calling in. I tried multiple times calling in to change it and even though they said it had changed, it never showed up online. Sent an email requesting the change and everything switched over within 24 hours!

Good luck!

It's strange that no locals are available. My in-laws are just north of you (22923) and the Richmond-Petersburg locals are offered in their area.

Have you thought about applying for a waiver to get the east coast national feed?

Before I start, I want everyone to know I understand and fully appreciate the legal/ethical concepts involved here.

I am in a DMA (22903)with NO LOCALS available. I cannot get the DNS service in HD. I would like to "move" to the Washington D.C area so that I can receive the D.C. local networks in HD.

Two questions:

1. How do I actually "move"? What I mean is, what kind of address do people use? Do you just pick an address and hope no one lives there? Do you pick a business (ie gas station, supermarket, fast food joint) and use that address, or do you use a fake address (like adding an "a" to an existing address..."127a Main St")? What have others done?
  2. Will the coverage reach me if I use D.C. locals? We are about 90-100miles "as the crow flies" from D.C.
As I end, I want to reiterate to everyone that I understand and fully appreciate the legal/ethical concepts involved here.

Thanks,

BM
Don't have to move to DC move to Culpeper. NoVA/DC spot beam will cover you. 100 S. Commerce Street, Culpeper, VA 22701 apt b

It's strange that no locals are available. My in-laws are just north of you (22923) and the Richmond-Petersburg locals are offered in their area.

Have you thought about applying for a waiver to get the east coast national feed?

Different county.

the OP zip is Charlottesville which is the light blue on the map I showed...different DMA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts