Moving to a 2nd story house

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jailbird

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 11, 2004
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's a new situation for me.

My current house is a 1-story w/ an existing E* dish. When we had D* installed, we ran the 2nd RG6 to the master bedroom for the HD-DVR, and ran the extra 2 RG6 runs outside to where the dish was. This way all the installer had to do was swap out dishes.

Our new house is a 2-story brick house w/o an existing dish. I already know I have to run the 2nd RG6 to the master bedroom (the SWM needs to hurry up!). I'm less sure on how the dish is installed. On the roof? On the side attached to the brick somehow? Do I need to warn them that it's a 2-story house when I call?

If I run the 2nd RG6 into the attic where the rest of the lines are, will the D* installer just run the 4 RG6 lines into the attic from the dish for me, or will they charge me extra?

Thanks again!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's a new situation for me.

My current house is a 1-story w/ an existing E* dish. When we had D* installed, we ran the 2nd RG6 to the master bedroom for the HD-DVR, and ran the extra 2 RG6 runs outside to where the dish was. This way all the installer had to do was swap out dishes.

Our new house is a 2-story brick house w/o an existing dish. I already know I have to run the 2nd RG6 to the master bedroom (the SWM needs to hurry up!). I'm less sure on how the dish is installed. On the roof? On the side attached to the brick somehow? Do I need to warn them that it's a 2-story house when I call?

If I run the 2nd RG6 into the attic where the rest of the lines are, will the D* installer just run the 4 RG6 lines into the attic from the dish for me, or will they charge me extra?

Thanks again!

I think I would look around the property to see where a dish is most practical first.
Have you thought about having a pole mount dish set up , this way it's on the ground and easily accessible ?
I'm sure they would rather NOT do a 2nd flr roof mount if there are other options that are better.

Jimbo

I believe the installer is only required to run as many lines as needed. Having said that, have him run all four lines to your attic. It would be easier now rather than later. You may be able to negotiate a price anywhere from $0 to the cost of the extra RG6.

You may want to consider a pole mount at the side of the house.

I believe the installer is only required to run as many lines as needed. Having said that, have him run all four lines to your attic. It would be easier now rather than later. You may be able to negotiate a price anywhere from $0 to the cost of the extra RG6.

You may want to consider a pole mount at the side of the house.

Well, I have 1 HD-DVR and 3 regular receivers, (total of 5 tuners), so I do need 4 lines. I just didn't know if they would run them into the attic as part of a standard install or not.

Well, I have 1 HD-DVR and 3 regular receivers, (total of 5 tuners), so I do need 4 lines. I just didn't know if they would run them into the attic as part of a standard install or not.

Seeing you have a total of 5 tuners, you need a multiswitch, probably already with your last set up, otherwise they will supply it.

You will need 4 lines going from the Dish to the Multiswitch and then the rec.'s connect to the MS location., in this case I think I would put the MS in the attic or just outside on the house either way.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts