Moving to Colombia

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sweepy1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Apex NC
Last year we purchased some land and started to build a house in Cali Colombia S.A. They currently heve the Spanish version of Direct TV but I would be unable to get the American channels there. I am wondering is there is anyway that I can continue my FTA hobby in Colombia? I would like to be able to at least get some feeds and channels in English. Does anybody have any information on this endevour?

Interesting question Sweepy. Looking at a map, I would say yes, you should be able to get some (maybe alot) of what you get now. But, it may be so straight up that you won't be able to use these USAL's motors. You could certainly use a polar mount dish with a prime focus feedhorn. You might can use a USAL's motor, I'm guessing you can't/won't be able to. But, what do I know. I'm a Redneck from Georgia.

Al

Or maybe you could turn an offset dish upside down and get it to work? Be sure and let us know, once you get there.

Before you give up on DirectTV Latin America, please note that most shows have an English language option or they might be in English with Spanish subtitles.

Most reception down in Colombia will require a C-band antenna;
check what the locals are using, but I would think that 10-12 foot models would be quite common. If you want C/Ku reception, realize that Cali is out of the footprint of most North American Ku-band satellites. Perhaps a larger solid antenna should be considered in the same diameter range. The Patriot 3.1 or 3.8 meter models would be recommended, due to their petalized construction, which allows reasonably sized packaging for shipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)