"moving" to Detroit? please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guffy1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Traverse City, MI
I was thinking of changing my service address to the Detroit area in order to receive their locals...

I live 250 miles away...Is it possible to recieve the signal from this far away?(Or is it a spot beam type signal that will not reach this far)?

Is NY or LA my only option at this time?

And what about the issue of having to have my phone line connected at all times?

Any problems there as far as me "moving" to a new service area?

Tx for any help on these hypothetical questions.

Where are you is the first bit of information needed to try and answer your question? It is definitely a spot beam. Phone line is no problem.

Detroit appears to be on transponder 20. I'm on the other side of the state near Lake Michigan about 175 to 200 miles west of Detroit. I have no signal on transponder 20. You'll have to see what your signal level is on that trasponder.

Where I live

I live in Traverse City, MI 49684

A good 250 miles away, on the west side of the state, right by Lake Michigan.

Sounds like a no go based on the 2nd persons response....

NY or LA is stil lan option for me then right?

Cant anyone get those feeds if they "move" within the area?

My D* Tech is coming today....

How long should I wait to "move" after install?

Is there any way of pulling it off today right while hes here?

Tx, Jeff

No way. If you were to move now, you need to find an area where DirecTV does not offer local channels. If local channels are available in any zip code you offer, you cannot qualify for distant networks any more.

Traverse City local channels are available. So are many others in Michigan.

Live about 40 miles east of TC, & have had Grand Rapids locals for over a year now. Maybe thats a better option for you. Ya just need the triple LNB dish & a valid service address. Also receive 2 ABC feeds(Kazoo & GR), UPN & WB. Much better than the crappy locals up here... :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.