Moving to MN or ND soon. Several questions

visiter555

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Pembina, ND
We are moving from Florida to and have the option of being in either the northwest Minnessota (Bimidji) area or northeast North Dakota (Rosseau area).

Does anyone know if either state taxes Dish?

Does anyone have comments on locals and which locals you would get?

Any other Dish items? I will be taking my Dish 500, DP34s and my old 36" Dish single lnb for 129 with me when I move.

visiter555 said:
We are moving from Florida to and have the option of being in either the northwest Minnessota (Bimidji) area or northeast North Dakota (Rosseau area).
Roseau is in MN...there might be a Roseau ND...Lovely area to be in :)
Bemidji is pretty good too. Love being "up north" as we call it :D

Does anyone know if either state taxes Dish?
yep. MN is 6.5%
ND does too but I dont know the number handy

Does anyone have comments on locals and which locals you would get?
Bemidji is in the far northern reaches of the Minneapolis DMA so you'll get Mpls locals (HD is available too).
Roseau is in the Fargo/Grand Forks DMA
I have Mpls and they look pretty good.

Any other Dish items? I will be taking my Dish 500, DP34s and my old 36" Dish single lnb for 129 with me when I move.
that's all you'll need

Bemidji is 110 miles east of Grand Forks ND
Roseau is in NW Minnesota, about 20 miles west of Warroad,
at the SW tip of Lake of the Woods, less than 10 miles from Canada.

Depending upon the station, Bemidji is actually part of the Twin Cities market,
and there are actually some local translators on UHF from Minneapolis.
But you're also close to the Red River Valley, and bordering counties would be part of the Fargo DMA, giving you Fargo and Grand Forks stations.

Roseau would also be considered Fargo.
Four local TV translators on UHF from Fargo-Grand Forks market.

Do a ZIP Code search on DISH Network's website when you figure out exactly where you are going to relocate.

Minnesota sales tax WILL be charged on any programming purchases from a satellite programmer.

MN is better by far. IMHO
high taxes but what can ya do.
Welcome to Hoickeyland, hope your a fan High school hockey is huge throughout MN kinda like Tx highscool football

Last edited:
stone phillips420 said:
MN is better by far. IMHO
high taxes but what can ya do.
Welcome to Hoickeyland, hope your a fan High school hockey is huge throughout MN kinda like Tx highscool football

Well, considering I was born & raised in Winnipeg....hockey.

Used to watch Jim Addelson and all the high school sports from WDAZ in Grand Forks/Fargo (I think) when I was still at home. I just disliked my short stint in Florida...taxes are BRUTAL!!!!

I would rather have the Fargo DMA personally.

Thanks guys! Great responses!

Iceberg said:
yep. MN is 6.5%
ND does too but I dont know the number handy
ND Sales/use tax is 5% which you would pay on any STB lease fee's or purchase.
NO tax on the actual service.

visiter555 said:

Used to watch Jim Addelson and all the high school sports from WDAZ in Grand Forks/Fargo (I think) when I was still at home. I just disliked my short stint in Florida...taxes are BRUTAL!!!!

WDAZ does have some ND Sioux football & hockey games on there via their cable channel "Fighting Sioux Sports Network".

visiter555 said:

Just remember if you have an HDTV you may want to be in the Minneapolis DMA as you can get the local HD channels via DISH. OTA reception for HD probably isn't too good up in those areas.

jimboeau said:
Just remember if you have an HDTV you may want to be in the Minneapolis DMA as you can get the local HD channels via DISH. OTA reception for HD probably isn't too good up in those areas.

unless you want KAWE (PBS) from Bemidji :)

jimboeau said:

How far NW does the MSP Spotbeam cover for locals (SD & HD)? I know from a few friends that the Fargo spots go up into Canada (Manitoba & eastern Saskatchewan).

Either would work for me as long as the locals (SD & HD) are available. Of course the no sales tax for sat service in ND is kinda nice! We pay a fortune in Florida!!!!

Pretty sad when you look at your Sat as a priority when moving! LOL

The Mpls spotbeam is pretty much the state of Minnesota. Once you get to the NW area it drops down but its pretty much the whole state (because most of the state is the Mpls DMA). HD LIL is on 129 so that’s CONUS. Here is the spotbeam map for Mpls (the dark blue is the DMA)
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10t04.pdf

The old Fargo spot was CONUS because they were on 121. Now they’re on 110 and they probably do hit Winnipeg and Southern MB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts