"Moving" to San Francisco

doclarse

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I currently live in the CA central coast, where Dish doesn not offer local channels in HD. Right now I can only get CBS HD by using my OTA. I think if I "move" to the San Francisco bay area, I'll be able to get all the locals from there in HD. They appear to be broadcast of the 129 satellite. I checked my receiver and I am currently receiving links from 110, 119 and 129.

Are the SFO locals broadcast nationwide or are they on a spotbeam? Will this work so I can finally get local HD content?

I currently live in the CA central coast, where Dish doesn not offer local channels in HD. Right now I can only get CBS HD by using my OTA. I think if I "move" to the San Francisco bay area, I'll be able to get all the locals from there in HD. They appear to be broadcast of the 129 satellite. I checked my receiver and I am currently receiving links from 110, 119 and 129.

Are the SFO locals broadcast nationwide or are they on a spotbeam? Will this work so I can finally get local HD content?

San Francisco's HD is on 119 spotbeam transponder 7. Make sure you can get signal from this first. I've attached the approx. coverage area.

Attachments

• 0047-07s04-07.gif
    0047-07s04-07.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 219
Thanks. It looks like I probably fall outside that area. Isn't Los Angeles a conus broadcast? I could do that instead, I guess. Where would I find the nifty graphics showing the approximate coverage areas?

Thanks. It looks like I probably fall outside that area. Isn't Los Angeles a conus broadcast? I could do that instead, I guess. Where would I find the nifty graphics showing the approximate coverage areas?

Los Angeles is on 129 conus. Check your signal on San Fran and see what you get.

How do I check the specific spotbeam coverage? Is it the same menu 6-1-1 path? Sorry about the questions. I'm fairly technologically savy, but this kind of thing confuses me.

How do I check the specific spotbeam coverage? Is it the same menu 6-1-1 path? Sorry about the questions. I'm fairly technologically savy, but this kind of thing confuses me.

Go to the signal strength page and check 119 TP 7. Compare it to other transponders on 119. Note: you won't get signal from every TP on 119 due to other spotbeams.

I checked my signal strength, and the 119 TP 13 is about 65-67. 119 TP 7 is 25-26. So I am able to receive it, but is the low strength going to affect the reception?

I'm located in the Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo area. According to the diagram provided by digi, I appear to be right on the edge of the southern most yellow region. This probably explains the low signal reception.

I checked my signal strength, and the 119 TP 13 is about 65-67. 119 TP 7 is 25-26. So I am able to receive it, but is the low strength going to affect the reception?

I'm located in the Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo area. According to the diagram provided by digi, I appear to be right on the edge of the southern most yellow region. This probably explains the low signal reception.

I wouldn't go with that market. Pick one off of 129, like Los Angeles on 129 TP 10. Check that signal.

Thanks for all the info here - is there a general set of steps one can use to determine the success of a future "move"? I am in the Columbus OH market right now, but will probably move to the Cleveland market when the HD locals appear "soon." What webpage/info can I look at to ensure
my move will get me what I want? (i.e. locals in HD) TIA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts