Moving To the States

Chugalug

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Just Around The Corner....
Hello

I am moving from Canada to the states and when I get there I want to subscribe to E*. I am just wondering If I am going to be able to do this with the lack of me having a SSN etc. Any tips or suggestions that I can do. thank you very much.

you might have issues without a credit history. And they do credit checks when you start, i beleive. Not sure about canada to US, when i came from the uk, lack of credit history was a problem. They wouldn't consider my previous history even for companies like amex, though that was 10 years ago.
Also E* now has this new service for pay as you go that may help there.

The whole DL/SSN is a mess too,as said above you have to have a ssn first before they will give you a DL, but you dont get proof of a SSN immediatley, so the DL gets delayed, also depending on the state you will need to take a test, "Behind the wheel" and/or written, i had to do both coming from the UK to Califiornia, coz we drive on the "wrong side" :)

Finally the account is tied to a telephone number, so unless you have a telephone number already that they will accpet, you will have to do that too. Also i found having a telephone number is a + for credit score.

As i said this may all be easier from Canada.

Jeff

What is this new pay as you go service? and does it apply to any Receivers that I may have already. Also can i get the Platinum HD package with this. Thanks for the info guys.

This thread has some details http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54898

Couldnt find it on the Web Site, looks liek you have to go through a retailer for the DishNow offering.

Here's an extract from the retailer chat.
DISH Now! / DISH Ya!
·DISH Network is the first TV provider to launch a pre-paid program in the U.S.
·Allows retailers to sell to a group of customers that may have been previously excluded based on economic limitations or qualification problems
·Customer purchases pre-paid system for $99 which includes a 301D receiver and antenna kit with Twin LNB
·Customer must also purchase pre-paid programming card for $30
·Programming card will be used to activate the receiver and provides 30 days of AT60 or DishLATINO programming. Customer would need to purchase additional cards for each 30 day period that they wish to continue programming
·Customer can either install the system themselves by purchasing a self-install kit for $19.99 or they can pay a retailer a price determined by that retailer to perform the installation
·100% Customer Qualification
·No chargebacks
·No CRP impact
·Marketing Materials located under Info Center à Sales and Marketing Tools à Advertising Materials à DISH Now!/DISH Ya! Pre-Paid Materials

Last edited:
Chugalug said:
Hello

I am moving from Canada to the states and when I get there I want to subscribe to E*. I am just wondering If I am going to be able to do this with the lack of me having a SSN etc. Any tips or suggestions that I can do. thank you very much.

Been there done that!

As I work for a multi-national and still am considered Canadian...I did not require a SSN, nor could I even get a SSN. I did get a DL and a corporate AmEx card.

Dish set me up on my owned IRDs...(311s) BUT they demanded a $200 "security" deposit which I would get back after six months (sure I will)...

I have the AEP with superstations and have been cheerfully running since then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)