Moving twice (in town) within a year - advice needed

CDH

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 28, 2004
Greenville, SC
I've got the (now) old HD Absolute plan on Dish Network. I like it, especially the price.

The thing is, I've sold my house and I've got to move into a rental house for a period of several months while our next house is built. I imagine that I'd have to get a concrete-filled bucket with a pole-mounted dish for the rental house if I want to avoid the dastardly Charter Cable, but AT&T Uverse is rolling out in the area so I don't want to lock into a 2-year contract with Dish.

I live in Greenville, SC and I currently have 110/119/61.5, but with a bucket/pole-mount I'm thinking a single-dish 110/119/129 solution might be better. I might have to pay for the dish, LNB, and install to avoid a contract.

Any advice?

Thanks,
CDH.

Hi, I did the movers program 11 years ago. Here's what I remember, They told me to take my receiver and they would handle they rest. The people who bought my old house didnt want the dish so I took that too. Well installers came installed a dish 500 and gave me two new receivers. I never got charged for the new install, I cant remember if i had a commitment though. Well In 2008 when I try to get dish again, they tell me I would half to pay for equipment $400+. I dont have bad credit so I asked why and they told me I never returned my dish equipment in '98. What!!! :rant:, They didnt want it back! I offered to return the old dish and receiver, but its to late I guess. I just said @#%& it and went with out paid tv, till now. Im going to call later and activate my old equipment on the welcome plan, not even gonna bother asking for new stuff. Hopefully I get a csr that knows what there doing. Thats more than enough about my bad experience, If you can I recommended you move the stuff your self.

Im guessing you have two dishes, one 500 and one for 61.5? You could use cinder blocks instead of the pole and bucket. A few of my friends have a setup like this, the j-pole is mounted to a single block and it sits on there patio. I've even seen a dish mounted on a step ladder but thats a little crazy.

You could suspend your account for a few months maybe. Then you wouldn't have to deal with it at the rental and just do your move once the new house is done. Just a thought.

Thanks for the help. If they'll let me do "Dish mover" without a commitment then that is great.

Does anyone know where I can buy a rail-mount? I'm looking into doing without the cinder-block or concrete-bucket and mounting to a deck railing.

Thanks,
CDH.

Dont Suspend Account !!

You could suspend your account for a few months maybe. Then you wouldn't have to deal with it at the rental and just do your move once the new house is done. Just a thought.

Dont suspend your account if you want to keep Absolute,many have done so and havent been able to reurn to Absolute.

You could easily make something similar. You could use 4 equal length pieces of 2x4's. I made the attacked pics real quick to show.

Start off with drilling holes the same size as the bolts on each side of where the rails are for the surrounding two railings on both 2x4's. Also drill holes (above on top, below on bottom) for the middle railing.

Now Place the J-pole mount on the bottom of the top board and the top of bottom board. Make sure both ends of the two boards are the same distance apart. Now drill the bolt holes for the j-pole mount (just on one side).

Bolt the J-pole mount down to the side you drilled the holes in. Now put in the appropriate length bolts that will hold on the other side. Put nuts and washers tight to the first board.

Now take another set of nuts and washers. Put them on the opposite way so they will face the inside board. Leave them just a little bit after where the inside board will sit. Now get the outside board in its desired location.

Place the inside board on the bolts and tighten on another set of nuts and washers. Before its tight grab a level and place it on top of the 2x4, When level tighten down the bolts until the home made rail mounts is securely held in place.

Now tighten down the nuts on the other side of the inside board, just to the edge of the board. Finger tight will be good, Do Not tighten them down snug.

Make sure the inside and outside boards are level. Place the pole back on to its mount. When you get it plumb, tighten it down.

Now if your not moving far the elevation angles should be the same. Check on dish's web site for the azimuth, elevation, and skew. Set the elevation and skew.

Use a compass to find the azimuth and use a near by object as a marker. Place dish on the pole in the direction of your mark.

Move the dish's azimuth until you have the best possible signal. Tighten the dish down securely.

Now adjust elevation until the signal is at its peak. Tighten down elevation bolts.

This shouldn't cost to much, probaly cheaper than a manufactured one.

Attachments

• side 1.JPG
    side 1.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 123
  • side 2.JPG
    side 2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)