moving..want to keep current DirecTV local channels..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankees2006

Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
OK, I may be moving from NYC to the west coast and want to keep the NYC local channels on at least one TV while I'm living on the west coast and especially want to keep YesNetwork. Is there anyway to do this? I have access to a billing address in NYC, would that be enough?

Anyone know?

Thanks

just don't tell directv you are movingt to the west coast. install a dish in your new place and you should receive the same programming as before, including NYC locals.

You should keep everything except the SD LILs that ARE NOT one of the big 4 networks, because of spot beaming. Not 100% sure how HD LIL would be for you outside of the NYC area; there are both MPEG2 feeds that are CONUS, and there are MPEG4 feeds that are spot beamed. Do you have MPEG4? If so, might you lose those too?

You should keep everything except the SD LILs that ARE NOT one of the big 4 networks, because of spot beaming. Not 100% sure how HD LIL would be for you outside of the NYC area; there are both MPEG2 feeds that are CONUS, and there are MPEG4 feeds that are spot beamed. If you have MPEG4 receivers you might lose those too.? Maybe.

What are the SD LILs? are these channels on a satellite that the west coast can't pick up? Just curious.

Standard Definition Local Into Local. These are all your local affiliates that are retransmitted to you via DirecTV ; not just the big 4 (abc, cbs, nbc, fox) and those outside of the big 4 are spot beamed; or only retransmitted back into the area they serve. If you dish is physically out of said area, then there will be no signal to receive. Other than those SD LIL, I am sure MPEG4 HD LIL (via the H20 receiver) are all spot beamed.

I am also not 100% sure how regional sports channels are beamed; maybe Iceberg can tell us. I am sure they are CONUS = Continental US (national)

OK, little confused.

I just have DirecTV with Tivo (2 rooms), NYC local, MLB xtra innings. Standard (not HD).

What I want to do is still be able to receive YesNetwork without being blacked out and local network (ABC, CBS, Fox, etc.).

I have access to a billing address here in NYC and would just want one accessible to this feed.

Do I have them install on the west coast and then pop in my NYC card?

I'm absolutely clueless on what to do.

yankees2006 said:
OK, little confused.

I just have DirecTV with Tivo (2 rooms), NYC local, MLB xtra innings. Standard (not HD).

What I want to do is still be able to receive YesNetwork without being blacked out and local network (ABC, CBS, Fox, etc.).

I have access to a billing address here in NYC and would just want one accessible to this feed.

I'm absolutely clueless on what to do.

Are you going to have it professionally installed on the west coast? If so, you might have some issues because they will have to change your address. If you do self install, you should be fine.

it doesn't work that way. If you have it pro installed, they have to come to your new address and that is what will be on record. (not NY)

OK hear me out.

I have them install it under another name (spouse) and then just take one of the boxes with the card under my name that is being paid for in NYC.

Would that work?

No, cards are permanantly "married/assigned" to a specific receiver. The only time you can change them is when DirecTV sends you updated cards, then the old ones will be killed in their system. You can't swap legit cards from one to another and back.

If the subscription still has the NYC area zip code attached, you will still be subject to that old area's blackout rules. BUT you should toss up am OTA antenna to get the new area's locals whicle getting the NYC networks at the same time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts