"Moving"

Unless your account is marked as a Outdoors customer, you’re going to be questioned about it. Give one wrong answer and they will refuse to change it (unless you setup a tech visit for a legitimate move). Then there is the technical aspect, most locals are delivered through a spot beam, which basically means you can only get them in a radius of a few hundred miles around there origin.

Can you still simply call Dish and change your service address to get different local channels?
Most locals are on spot beams. So, you can probably do just that for nearby DMAs, but you probably cannot do that with more distant locals because the signal strength would be de minimis. There may be a few CONUS locals still available...

I'm in Southern Ohio and I get Huntington/Charleston locals, I'm wanting to get Cincinnati locals, I'm sure I'm in their spot beam. Does anyone know if a "move " would work to get Cincinnati locals? I'm about 100 miles away.

I'm in Southern Ohio and I get Huntington/Charleston locals, I'm wanting to get Cincinnati locals, I'm sure I'm in their spot beam. Does anyone know if a "move " would work to get Cincinnati locals? I'm about 100 miles away.
Right now Cincinnati is CONUS on 72.7 so you would be able to get them just fine. I see that you are eastern arc already and I am certain that Cincinnati would go the same should they go spotbeam later. It is a question of when rather than if on that. Given your location you can be certain that you should be in that spotbeam.

Right now Cincinnati is CONUS on 72.7 so you would be able to get them just fine. I see that you are eastern arc already and I am certain that Cincinnati would go the same should they go spotbeam later. It is a question of when rather than if on that. Given your location you can be certain that you should be in that spotbeam.

Hopper/Wally= Home button three times (on older remotes like the 40.0 its Menu twice), then once diagnostics comes up, 3 on your remote numberpad (or just scroll down to Dish). Should see a grid with the current satellites.
Almost everything else (ViP)= Menu, then 6-1-3 (System setup, Installation, System info). The sats you have will be tested for a minute or so and have a green box/checkmark if you have them.

I've heard that the Hopper receivers have a gps in them, and that Dish can tell your exact location. Is this true? If so would they still change your service address if you tell them you have moved?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've heard that the Hopper receivers have a gps in them, and that Dish can tell your exact location. Is this true? If so would they still change your service address if you tell them you have moved?
If the DISH receivers had GPS in them all of the existing movers, and there are a ton of them, would have no locals at all. That isn't the case so I guess the DISH receiver don't have GPS built into them after all... ;)

I’ve only had my true locals for a few hours the whole time I’ve had Dish (this time, not the previous time). I’ve “moved” the day of my service call and it worked just fine. I told the lady I “moved” my equipment to my vacation home but she saw that I had my installation earlier that day and thought I meant the installation actually happened at a different address and therefore changed it.

Reactions: TheKrell
No, but if it’s connected to the internet then they can get an estimate of your location with your public IP address. However, most of the time that’s not an issue, since the only thing they worry about is that if you are connected in a foreign country, or have multiple receivers connected to the internet at different locations under the same account (remember when account packing was a thing?)

No, but if it’s connected to the internet then they can get an estimate of your location with your public IP address. However, most of the time that’s not an issue, since the only thing they worry about is that if you are connected in a foreign country, or have multiple receivers connected to the internet at different locations under the same account (remember when account packing was a thing?)
The Hopper at our upstate NY cottage uses Spectrum's Internet service and the Hopper in our motorhome, currently about 50 feet away, is using an AT&T cell Internet service. The Spectrum IP geolocates to Syracuse, NY and the AT&T IP locates to NYC. Neither location is within 100 miles of our actual location and sometimes the two locations are a couple of thousand miles apart. I think Dish doesn't care as long as my payment clears each month.

The Hopper at our upstate NY cottage uses Spectrum's Internet service and the Hopper in our motorhome, currently about 50 feet away, is using an AT&T cell Internet service. The Spectrum IP geolocates to Syracuse, NY and the AT&T IP locates to NYC. Neither location is within 100 miles of our actual location and sometimes the two locations are a couple of thousand miles apart. I think Dish doesn't care as long as my payment clears each month.
Is you account marked as an Outdoors acct? That probably makes them not care, since they have to consider your home receivers might still be connected to the internet while your RV equipment is elsewhere

Is you account marked as an Outdoors acct? That probably makes them not care, since they have to consider your home receivers might still be connected to the internet while your RV equipment is elsewhere
It is now, but it wasn't for quite a few years before the "Outdoor" accounts existed. Also the motorhome Hopper is nearly always connected to the Internet as well.

Reactions: ethanlerma

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)