MPEG-2 Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Piratefan98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Any hope that they'll be moved to MPEG-4 anytime soon. Several of those channels (ESPN, ESPN2, etc.) are ones that I watch a lot, and the fear of losing PQ on those legacy channels is actually one of the things holding me back from making the switch from Comcast to DirecTV.

Anyone know if they'll be migrated any time soon (maybe after the new satellite is online?)

Jeff

It won't be before then :) My guess is that they will be mirrored to MPEG4 not long after Directv 11 is operational, but it might be a while before they are cut off completely.

Maybe my eyes aren't that good, but the PQ on the MPEG2 channels isn't all that bad (the MPEG4 ones look better, of course). I don't sit in front of the screen looking for bad pixels, so have probably missed a few.

The MPEG2 channels are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be especially setup correctly and seated at the recommended viewing distance; they surely are not bad enough to leave DirecTV or delay switching to DirecTV. Does MPEG4 look better; sure it does. They will be switched to MPEG4 before long.

You are correct; the company retransmitting is almost always held to numerous comments, but many people seem to forget there is a lot that precedes that DBS or cable output. Live and prerecorded material.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)