MPEG 4 / MPEG 2 Multi-Room HD Subs--A Request to Dish.

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So, I'm on the threshold of ordering my leased 942 swapout/upgrade to a MPEG-4 capable 622 (waiting like a good boy for April 1). I also have two leased 811s that I was hoping to upgrade to the new MPEG-4 211, but apparently, Dish thinks that shouldn't happen, limiting one receiver upgrade per household (two tuners, i.e. one HD DVR). I imagine supplies are tight and they want to give as much room for new subs as possible. Fine. But...

My issue is, when I upgrade, my HD plan will switch to their new metallic tiering. I will then get the newly added HD channels in "MPEG-4" (O.K., they're MPEG-2 in sheeps clothing for now, but that's not the point here. well, sort of), i.e. UHD, etc., on the new 622. So I'm paying for that material. But in my two other rooms, the 811s won't see the new channels, so I'm paying full rate for those addt'l receivers, but not getting all the channels I sub to. I truly believe, and esp. in light that the channels have been simulcast in MPEG-2 (Winter Olympics HD), that subs in my situation should be allowed to see those channels on non-MPEG-4 hardware. It's not MY choice to keep them...I WANT to upgrade to new hardware. Dish won't allow it--and this is the only fully equitable way they can make good by customers like myself.

So, what do folks think? Do you feel like I do, or do you have another way you're willing to see it or have worked it out? Can anyone at Dish comment on this? Sounds doable, I believe the bandwidth is there and is sounds extremely fair. It only needs to run as long as the hardware upgrade cycle lasts, so it's merely a logical stop-gap solution and the bandwidth can be recycled later for, say, addt'l HD locals, etc.

Last edited:
So, anyone have any responses to this?

I'm curious how many others are in a similar boat, and whether you agree w/ me on these points or not (and if not, why).

Beuller...?

Well, I could expound on the E* (il)logic of it, but what's the point? You're right, they're wrong, but "might makes right" and the almighty Chucky holds all the cards. :cool:

Eventually they'll be giveing 211s away and leasing 622s for little of nothing but not until the greedy bean counters have sucked every $$ they can out of them.

They know perfectly well many subs have more than one HDTV and they know perfectly well it will gripe the hell out of subs that have gotten used to having HD available at two or more locations in their home and they will bitch & moan but in the end likely spring full price to purchace additional receivers.

Once they've drained all they can out of that avenue you can bet the pigs will come out with a much more attractive promo for the "commoners".

Well, I guess I was hoping for a little more advocacy from some folks around here w/ connections 'inside'...or some insights as to why things are as they stand at the very least.

Seems like everyone's just rolling over. Really, really too bad. There are a lot of very straightforward ways to make the situation more equitable, and, I would think, at minimum outlay of time/money/effort for the revenue that these premium subs bring in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)