MPEG-4 - when?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sc0rp10n

Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Hi. Does anyone know what the DirecTV timeline is for switching over to MPEG-4? I'm currently using an HR10-250 and getting my local HD channels from antenna. I'm pretty content with the way things are currently but am wondering when my current equipment will no longer work. I'm also setting up a dish and receiver at my cabin and wonder when that equipment will be obsolete as well.

Need info regarding where you are.

Non-MPEG4 hardware won't be obsolete for a while; MAYBE around late 2008 at the earliest, but look how many original hardware systems are still used today. So that 2008 is likely way wrong.

The first HDTV programming that you might miss out on, if you are satisfied with your OTA HDTV reception, is your regional sports network in HDTV. The next thing that DirecTV might put up in MPEG 4 before the updgrading of the subscription base's reception equipment has been substantially completed is some additional PPV options. I don't see DirecTV ending the transmissions of MPEG 2 ESPN, HBO, Showtime, etc. individually before a total MPEG 2 discontinuation occurs, and I don't even see them even adding any MPEG 4 general interest, CONUS HDTV program before then, since it would place immediate demands for the new receivers in an interval when DirecTV is still straining to supply them to the more important customers who need them for HDTV locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts