MPEG2 east coast DNS going away

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdspencer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Binghamton, NY
Well, it looks like I may have to finally swap out my HR10-250.
I just saw the message crawl on the bottom of ch82 saying that they will be moving the MPEG2 DNS in the 80s to MPEG4 in the 390s. Of course, I know about the 390s as I have the HR20-100 and have been watching them for quite some time. I liked having the 80s for backup with network HD. I can also get a new dish (Slimline SL3) as I now will have no reason for 110 and 119.

I may keep the HR10 active for awhile for its OTA recording capability.

you actually don't have to keep your HR10-250 active with D* to keep receiving and recording programs off air.

you actually don't have to keep your HR10-250 active with D* to keep receiving and recording programs off air.

Uh, actually you do - at least if you want to actually RECORD OTA shows... :rolleyes:
While it will allow you to watch & pause live TV, it will NOT let you record it, since the DVR features require activation from D* in order to work. Deactivate it & when you try & hit record, it will tell you to call D* to activate your service.

Wrong. MPEG4 by definition is a compression method. It's just more efficient than MPEG2.
They just may not compress the channels any further.

Wrong. MPEG4 by definition is a compression method. It's just more efficient than MPEG2.
They just may not compress the channels any further.

That's what I meant. I know that MPEG4 is a type of compression. Directv doesn't downres it more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)