Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got this from Jamie at DirecTV

This Thursday morning at approximately 6:00am EST there will be some changes in HD in format they are delivered.

The following channels will go from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4.
206 ESPN HD
209 ESPN2 HD
245 TNT HD
281 HD Theatre
501 HBO HD
537 Showtime HD
259 Universal HD
Some folks believe these channel locations were already broadcast in MPEG4, but they were not. They required the MPEG4 receiver but were still broadcast in the MPEG2 codec. (I'm not an engineer so forgive me if I'm stating that incorrectly).
This should not effect any customer that is already seeing the above channels in those channel ranges as they already have a KaKu dish and MPEG4 equipment. The only difference is that those channels will be in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2.

Customers that do not have the correct equipment will still be able to see those channels in MPEG2 in the 70-99 range for the time being.
In addition, the following channels will get their MPEG 4 channel location on July 31st. These will be in Ka (again, need the KaKu dish)
306 HDNet
552 HD Net Movies
390 NY CBS
392 NY NBC
396 NY ABC
398 NY FOX

Last edited by a moderator:
So they still be mirriored with the 70-90 MPEG2 and the upper number channels will be MPEG4.

Great news! Heck it's got Scott in the Happy Snoopy Dancing mood! Still have serious doubts (though it seems that I am the only one) that it will fix what ever it is that is not good about ESPN PQ. I will find out soon enough when my Phis play on ESPN on Sunday night! As far as I am concerned the MLB games on ESPN this year just look terrible. Anyway bring on the 4!

I am wondering if the new MPEG4 channels will be coming to us off of DirecTV 11 or off DirecTV 10?

Sure, anyone could climb up to his dish and using piece of aluminum foil or just plywood cover left/right eyelet of 99/101/103 combo and listen to what his wife/GF shooting. Still some ambiguity - D11 or SW2, D10 or SW1. Right ? ;)

Sure, anyone could climb up to his dish and using piece of aluminum foil or just plywood cover left/right eyelet of 99/101/103 combo and listen to what his wife/GF shooting. Still some ambiguity - D11 or SW2, D10 or SW1. Right ? ;)

Tuna can over 119,bottom of coke can over 110, strip of foil over 103 :):)

Great news! Heck it's got Scott in the Happy Snoopy Dancing mood! Still have serious doubts (though it seems that I am the only one) that it will fix what ever it is that is not good about ESPN PQ. I will find out soon enough when my Phis play on ESPN on Sunday night! As far as I am concerned the MLB games on ESPN this year just look terrible. Anyway bring on the 4!

well i can tell you from having both that E has espn2 in mpeg4 and when you compare it to the espn2 at D the difference is incredible. today especially the espn2 at D looks like crap. i'll be happy when they fix this Thursday

What do you think about Disc on D* vs E*?? Disc on D* could do a little better IMHO, especially since its mpeg4.

i thought because of the pic quality that it was mpeg2. yes it can definitely do better. it's a little better on E. of course when you really compare D and E D has more HD that looks better than E has that's for sure.

I agree, D* has overall better HD. Im just amazed that movies on a channel like FXHD can look so good, yet Disc HD can look kinda bad. Wonder if its on Disc's end?

I agree, D* has overall better HD. Im just amazed that movies on a channel like FXHD can look so good, yet Disc HD can look kinda bad. Wonder if its on Disc's end?

it has to be on their end. i agree with you on the fxhd comment. i was watching robots sunday morning and it was stunning!

That would explain why Directv called me to upgrade my HR10-250, the other day. Guess I'll have to take them up on their offer for a free HD DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts