MPEG4 ch's drop out 8-9pm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

weaselfest

Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
for the last month or so, both my HR20-700 and H20-600 have been pixelating something awful between 8-9pm consistently.
weather doesn't seem to be a factor nor does heat. reception has been fine during some severe storms, and while I have a lot of trees in my yard, reception has been fine (outside the problem hours) regardless of wind, so I don't think the trees are the issue, (unless the are growing and shrinking over a one hour period). signal strengths on 103s and 103c are in the mid 80's to mid 90's on transponders I receive.
Dish is first generation side car model 5 LNB (AT-9?).
am climbing up to inspect F connectors today, but all looked good a month ago when I cleaned out a wasp nest from the
LNB arm.
Have read that the HR20-700 doesn't play well with the old side car LNB setup, curious for some more confirmation of specific problems that have reported with this combination.
If it is a compatibility issue, will D own up to the problem and replace my dish for free ?(willing to sign up for another 2 years, I'm not changing services unless this problem can't get resolved)

I have an AT-9 "sidecar", HR20-700 works fine.
Since you have the problem on both the receiver and the DVR you know it isn't a receiver problem. One possibility is that you are getting some severe electrical interference, or a power quality problem, caused by a piece of equipment that switches on during your 8-9pm time window.
The other possibility, if you don't have a multiswitch, is that you have an LNB problem; this could be temperature sensitivity (although you say that is unlikely) or moisture/condensation getting into the LNB through a small crack in the plastic cover. But LNB problems usually affect the signal strength and you say you are getting 80s/90s on 103(c) even when the pixelation is happening.
Do you have a multiswitch?

I"ve never heard of a compatibility issue with the sidecar dish and the hr20 series.

Signal loss that limited and regular to a time, I have no idea what to tell you. Are you sure it doesn't happe other times and you just notice it more often at 8pm, most people watch more at that time?

It would be very unlikely that there was an AT-9 and HR20-700 incompatibility. After all, for a long time the only 5-lnb dishes were AT-9s, and the only HR20s were HR20-700s, so we would soon have known if there was an incompatibility.

I bet D* comes out and puts up a Slimline and all is well.

When the mpeg4 stuff was first starting, I was getting them fine, then from time to time I would have freezing using the AT-9. (I liked the AT-9 had no problems with it for the first year or so) Once they swapped out the dish to the Slimline I never had the problem again.
Even with the AT-9 my signal strength has always been in the 90's, so it wasn't nessasarilly a SS problem.

Jimbo

climbed up to the roof and tore things apart for a very close look at F connecters. seems D installer attempted to cram RG6 fittings on my RG6 quad cable. replaced all with proper snap and seals, installed antec boots on all fittings and replace jumpers between sidecar and main LNB. wrench tightened all fittings. no problems to speak of during NASCAR race Saturday or during Sunday night with storms in the air.
Hope this was the solution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)